Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sessions have gone up monthly over the past year and now I'm around 130,000 unique sessions per month BUT I do not necesarily get more sales on my general product line. I do get more views of my for free recipes, doll making instructions and banner pages.

I'm curious what this means. Is it good for sessions to double or tripple without sales tripleing or doubling?

Does anyone have feedback or personal experience on this?

i am hopeful that this increase in traffic will be good for name recognition and potential future ad spots for wholesale suppliers but I don't know what to make of it just yet !

TIA!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
More traffic should equal more sales or you're probably drawing unqualified visitors.

My husband's site used to offer a free contest, but he found that people were just entering the contest and leaving, never even viewing what he was selling. He discontinued the contest (less work for him) and his sales were unaffected.

If you are a site that sells things, in my opinion, you should stick to selling and not bother much with free things that draw people.

I think it's better for ecommerce sites to work on their selling. When someone comes to your site, the goal of the site should be to sell, not service the lookie-loos.

Now, if you used free content to draw people to your site AND they became customers, go for it. But if they read the content and leave, then it's not serving your needs.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Maybe on your free pages, you could suggest items for the view to buy. For example, on your lip balm recipe page, include a link to the lip balms you sell. Someone who is interested in your free recipe, might decide it's easier to just buy the pre-made product (or a similar one).

You can also suggest similar items. For example, on your deodorant spray, also link to the soap products that you sell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts