Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, how do you have your sewing room/space set up and organized? I just moved into a new house and I *finally* have my own room for sewing/crafting...but I have no idea what to do with the space! I make mostly diapers but I also make slings and I have lots of yarn for crocheting and knitting. I don't know where to start! Any ideas or suggestions? What could you not live without in your sewing room?
TIA!!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts

A sewing room- one room just for sewing!
: Obviously I don't have one, I use the dining room table which means I'm dragging things out and putting them back every time I want to sew.
:

If I had a sewing room I'd have open shelves and baskets for notions and "stuff" and someplace closed for the fabric so it doesn't get sun faded. Mmmm, what a nice dream! :LOL I'm interested to see what other people have...

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Here's a picture of my "sewing room" in our old apartment. http://www.wonderbabydesigns.com/pics/south_corner.jpg I had to share with the rest of the office stuff and all our dressers, but it was workable. We moved this set up (along with the computer armoire) into a smaller room for a while which was better because all the biz stuff was seperate from the bedroom. I also could put hte desk against a wall and have better access to the closet.

At our new house, I have a similar set up in my sewing studio (a small room in back of our garage with French doors into the backyard, it's my dream sewing room) with a comfy chair in the corner at the end of the desk (where the rocker in the picture is), a small dresser along the wall next to the chair and a tall chest of drawers (which is hiding behind the big desk in this pic) in the corner at the end of the desk return. I also have a 2-drawer rolling cabinet under the desk where that ugly laundry basket is. Our huge old dining room table is in the garage as a worktable and I'm going to be raising it on blocks to a more comfortable height for cutting. The garage also has a big metal cabinet for my fabrics and plastic bins under the big table.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the picture Rubelin! I got some great ideas from that! I'm so excited to have a room just for sewing and craft stuff. My last house (and every one prior) was a tiny one bedroom, so the living room was also the dining room and sewing room...very disorganized! This is a dream come true!
My new house is older and it has a lot of built-ins...there is a wall of built-in cabinets that have some drawers...the desk is built-in, it should be long enough for both my sewing machine and my serger and it has a couple drawers and a cabinet for easy access storage...and there is also a closet (sans doors) for fabric and what-not. I'm hoping to talk my dad into making me a cutting table with storage in the base. I think I have enough space to make it a yard and a half by a yard and a half. I'm having him up this weekend so he can check out the space and help me figure out what can be built in there. I'm hoping to have something kind of like they have a the fabric store, only smaller.
I'd love to see other pictures of sewing rooms or areas! I'm not so great at organizing so I'm afraid of everything just getting thrown in there. I promised myself I wouldn't start unpacking until I had a plan but I have orders to fill!! Any other tips?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Oh how I wish I had a sewing room. Heck, I wish I had a sewing *area*! Right now I have my sewing machine & serger scrunched side-by-side on the last remaining bit of clear space on our computer table (a big square table which also holds my laptop, my dh's desktop, a printer, monitor, paper holders, etc. etc. It's really not an ideal situation, especially b/c there is so much computer-related stuff *under* the table as well that I can't actually sit at the table - I sit near it and lean in to use my machine & serger.
But hopefully this weekend I'll get a cheapie collapsible sewing table from Joann & then I'll be in business!

Now, my dream sewing room: I would have a long table for my sewing machine & serger, with enough depth behind them to hold racks for sewing machine thread and cone thread. There would be good overhead light & an adjustable light source right by the table. I would have a filing cabinet just for patterns & pictures I'm saving as ideas for future projects. I would also have some kind of chest of drawers for fabric, with deep drawers (wire baskets maybe?) that pull out. Oh! And a cutting table, like the kind they have at sewing stores. My mom actually has one - two Joann's that were too close together were consolidating their stores, and they sold off all their cutting tables for cheap, and she bought one. It totally rocks.

Sigh...maybe in the next house...

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jaye, your sewing *area* sounds like what I had going on at my last house!! I've been so used to having all my stuff in piles that I just don't know what to do with all this space!
The filing cabinet is a great idea! Maybe I can build it into the bottom of the cutting table. I would love to get a cutting table from Joann's, that's exactly what I want, but I think that I don't have quite enough space for it! We didn't even have a dining room table at out last house...the table we used was a little collapsable thing and if you put any weight on it the "wings" collapsed! So, I did all my cutting out on the floor, which is pretty hard to do having a dog and a baby !

·
Registered
992 Posts
Oh, what a nice daydream this is! LOL

Storage. Lots of storage! I would love a whole wall of shelves and drawers for all my craft stuff. Maybe with a folding or a sliding door so I wouldn't HAVE to stress about keeping it perfectly organized to look nice. Good lighting, a good sewing tableand chair, and another table for cutting out. Oh, and an ironing station on one wall. A wall rack for threads and notions. I could go on and on. Sigh . . . someday!

·
Registered
483 Posts
For your cutting table, make sure it is tall enough. The height of my kitchen counters works best for me. Anything shorter is hard on my back (and I am only 5"4", and I have a really strong back). I currently have one of those fold-able cutting tables from JoAnn's, but I don't really like it b/c it is kind of wobbly on my carpet. It's only temporary (say, 10 years or so). But you won't be needing one of those - so lucky you! Have you checked out any books on sewing spaces? I think one is called "Creative Sewing Spaces" or something like that. It has lots of info on designing a cutting table. Sounds like you have the rest covered (table, built in shelving, etc.) If you need more shelving in that closet, put up the really heavy duty shelf standards in there. I don't like the wire stuff b/c it has too many holes and I think it can be harder to keep clean and tidy. And someday, when I have more time, I am going to build a three-way mirror set-up in my room. 'Course that won't be for diapers.

Also, in my sewing room - I have a wine box that I use to store wrapping paper rolls. And one of those 4-ft-ish high plastic rolling carts with lots of drawers and wheels. It holds tape, scissors, ribbons and bows, etc. I LOVE it when I need to wrap presents. I just pull that stuff up to my cutting table. They are stored in my closet. And my husband knows that any scissors he finds in those drawers are safe for cutting paper with.

I built a window seat with cushions and use a child's bed gate so that my son can nap while I sew. (His room is a looooong way from my sewing room.) Under the window seat I have more storage. I sewed a skirt to cover the storage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts