Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else has a seven year old who throws major tantrums. Tonight my dd had a major melt down about a book we forgot to check out at the library. I told her I was sorry but I left the book on the table and forgot it. She started screaming "I want that book," over and over and then proceeded to dump a big basket of clean clothes on the floor and throw hard objects at the bedroom door. This tantrum lasted 15 to 20 minutes. So I guess I am looking for suggestions on how to deal with this behavior. I get so frustrated I feel like screaming.<br>
Thanks, Alder

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The tantrum probably was not about the book. Chances are she was hungry or tired or was just having that kind of day. Unless she throws major tantrums on a daily basis, I wouldn't worry too much.<br><br>
Since she is old enough to understand this, try talking to her about the tantrum at a calmer time. Ask her to tell you what she was feeling. Then you can let her know that everyone feels angry and frustrated sometimes, but now that she is growing up she needs to learn more acceptable ways to express those feelings. You can ask her to think of words she can say in those situations and have her write them down.<br><br>
The next time she is upset, you can remind her of the new "rules" and praise her for keeping her temper in check if she manages it.<br><br>
Good luck - hope this helps!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Yup, I've got a child with a temper. She's currently 8.5 I'm still struggling with the best way to deal with the tantrums- what works one day may not work the next!!<br><br>
I just want to reassure you that it IS normal (heck, I'm 32 and I still throw the occasional tantrum!!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts