Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmmm - interesting eval today - ds2 was first dx'd PDD-NOS at 26 months, this was recently changed (at 36 months) to Autistic Disorder by the same assessment folks. The school district team agrees w/ the dx.

But today he was assessed by one of the autism "big wigs" around here and she thinks 50% of his problem is severe auditory processing. He is echolalic with some videos and cd's and he gets the melody or inflection exactly right but the words are mostly unintelligible. She thinks he can't hear the sounds of the letters (phonemes?) and that is why he doesn't communicate much.

Anyone have experience with this??

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sort of, just looking more into it. My 10yo has ASD and significant auditory processing problems. However, the APD is just part of the package but it is one part that if we could adequately address, I think it would really help him in alot of other areas.

I was just writing elsewhere with an audiologist who recomended an FM trainer for my son which is something they wear and it helps filter out background noise.

I know they usually don't do a full APD eval until the child is about 8 but there are likely some things they can do now to start helping him.

One thing we have found to be great is music therapy. Particularly if your son seems to like music and gets the inflection. My son has a hard time with directions that are verbal, but when put to music or sung he does tons better.

Some other ideas are TLP (The Listening Program) and earobics. The listening program is just wearing headphones and listening to specially modulated music a couple times a day. That one helped Mike and I intend on doing it again soon. Earobics is a computer software program that helps retrain the ear but he might have to be a bit older for that. I am not sure. But it is worth looking into.

Others swear by more invasive things like AIT (auditory integration training). I haven't done it as it is very pricey and I have heard some kids have bad reactions to it. I really don't know much about it though and may be worth investigating.

Some things are called the Tomatis method and I forget the other one.

Good luck.

Renee

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I agree that it seems like many with ASD also have auditory processing issues. I think DD has this also. Not sure what to do about it yet. I've heard good things about listening therapy. We have a set of the special headphones for listening therapy and three vitalsounds CDs now but she thinks the music is too boring and wants to listen to more fun music instead when we put the headphones on. It IS kind of dull and sounds like elevator music. There may be better CDs out there.

Our DAN ped claims there are some supplements that can help with this too, p-choline and p-serine, and we've been giving them but I am not noticing any differences with the auditory processing issue.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mike didn't like the cd's either. It took awhile to get him to adapt and we had to set up special reinforcer just for that. He is really great with contracts now that he is older but when younger something immediately upon completion helped. We also started with a short time and added on too it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.