Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the same boat?<br><br>
During AF time, I bleed a LOT during the first 3 days. Last night was exceptionally bad. I had to get up 4 times to change my pad (between 10 pm and 5 am). Today was my first day of work and I was going into the bathroom every hour because I just kept gushing. Sorry if TMI. I have a small amount of sciatic pain and extreme bloating, but no pain. The first 3 days I bleed bad, then for 4 days I have moderate amount. I'm just not sure if there's something I can do about it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is reminiscent of my AFs, and the reason why I have them is because of a clotting/platelet disorder called von Willebrand disease. I was prescribed something called Amicar (I think that's what it's called) for my periods to keep the bleeding in check. But I can't tell you if it works or not, because I haven't had an AF since the diagnosis of VWD (still breastfeeding and haven't had first PPAF). I would recommend talking to your doc about a consultation to a hematologist!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I agree with the previous poster regarding having a w/u. A clotting disorder would cause you to bleed heavily like that. So would fibroids or other gyn/hormonal problems. It might not be a bad idea to have your blood count done. If you are bleeding that heavily each month there is a good chance you are anemic.<br>
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I know some women who have had endometrial ablation to stop heavy periods. But you need to be sure you're done having children before you consider that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts