Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! 2.5 yo DS has the worst diaper rash I have ever seen. He has a stomach bug which has caused much diarrhea and his bum is bright red and swollen. Doc said it looked like candida and gave me some cream (nyastatin?) but said it won't really help til the stomach bug is gone as the continued diarrhea will just keep irritating it. The diaper rash is so bad he can't even walk. He can't sit down. He screams bloody murder when I wipe him and when he poops. He cries whe he shifts positions because it hurts so bad.<br>
What can I do????<br>
First for the pain and the rash. Then what type of foods can I feed him to try and constipate him a bit to help stop this diarrhea.<br>
Please please help. I am in tears watching him.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
I hope so you are breast feeding because then you have the best cure for diaper rash. Breast milk. Squirt it on many times a day. If not, maybe you have a friend who can pump some for you.<br><br>
Also you have to get probiotics into you - if you are bf.<br><br>
Otherwise, yogurt on his bum might help. Warm it up a bit and try it. Let him go without diapers as much as possible. Oatmeal in a warm bath. Gosh, I feel so sorry for him.<br><br>
I would not use what the doc gave you, it is pretty nasty stuff. Absorbs into the skin and can damage the liver. Just a warning. You do what you think is best.<br><br>
Added: Oh, I just saw that he is 2.5 and probably not bf any longer. Going without diaper is the best way to help him.<br><br>
Any medicine will also make him have a worse diaper rash. Avoid all medicine if you can.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Gitti<br>
Thanks for such a fast reply! Forgive my ignorance, but I have some questions for you. I am actually breastfeeding (I have a 6 mo DS as well) so I could put some milk on the rash. However, if it is indeed a candida rash, won't the sugar in the breastmilk make it worse? I got some probiotics from the health store and DS loves them (they are for kids) so hopefully that will help. When you say any medicine will make the rash worse, are you also talking about tylenol and motrin? I have been giving those to help control the pain. Should I stop those?? For the oatmeal in the bath, just throw in a handful of oats or do I have to do something special with them first.<br>
Thanks so much!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts