Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I'm actually writing about my DH, he has severe eczema and his scalp is in horrible shape...he describes it as being almost like a burn. Nothing has helped in terms of prescription meds. My problem with all the dermatologists he has seen is the fact that they barely even look at his skin, and he walks out with 3 or 4 prescriptions, yet no one tries to help him figure out WHY he is suffering. Does anyone have a good resource that might help? I have watched him suffer for 13 years and it only seems to get worse no matter what he does. Should he see an allergist? Another type of doctor?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Unfortunately, I can suggest a billion things but he's the type that needs to hear a "doctor" tell him something before he'll do it. I really want to help him, though, because he is suffering greatly.</p>

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
<p>Would a couple book recs help?  Digestive Wellness by Lipski is a good discussion of health that includes discussion of Western approaches but mostly focuses on food intolerances, digestive health and ways to support that, nutrients, things along those lines.  Eczema often has food intolerances involved, and Lipski discusses it specifically plus has whole chapters introducing a lot of the topics that alternative medicine considers important. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Another to consider is Prescription for Nutritional Healing--a lot less discussion, more a list of things to try for an encyclopedia-type listing of health conditions. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The bigger thing is is attitude.  It's hard to give up on your health beliefs and start seeking elsewhere, and it's a very personal journey when it's your own health that you're trying to solve.  Not saying you can't be supportive and helpful, I think you can do a lot, but that internal motivation that says, "Dangit, this stuff is just not working.  These people don't have solutions for me, they don't understand what's going on or how to fix it.  I need to look elsewhere and find someone who _does_ understand" that can be a big change, harder for some people than others.  And at least for me, that was one of the most significant things in the healing process. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>One other thing, would he consider an ND?  Still a doctor, but a different approach, because it seems fairly rare for people with eczema to get dietary and healing suggestions from allergists and GPs and pedis.</p>

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Thank you...I will definitely check out those books. I have a feeling it's something dietary. I have been trying to find an ND in the area, but there don't seem to be any. He was willing to try one...but I'm still looking.</p>

·
Registered
205 Posts
<p>in the meantime (whilst you're looking for answers), my homeopath suggested that I take salmon oil capsules and my son take flaxseed oil (i bf and he's 2 months). She says eczema is inflammatory and the omegas ae anti inflammatory.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>i'd see an allergist too. good luck!</p>

·
Registered
74 Posts
<p>I agree with seeing an allergist, and that many times eczema can be the sign of something dietary.  It also can be caused by something environmental.  And, as you look to find the cause, it is also important to look at contributing irritants.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The fact that your husband describes it as a burn makes me also wonder what soap, shampoo, hair products, etc., he is using.  Also, if he uses a hair dryer.... not necessarily because of the heat burning him, but that warmer air in tandem with a possibly irritating product, could cause major discomfort.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know that ages ago, when DH and I were dating, he did an elimination diet to try and figure out what was causing his flare ups.  In a round about kind of way it did help figure out a few things for him, and gave his skin a break.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Eczema really is just miserable.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>OH.... and maybe, if he'd try, or if he already doesn't, see if he'll take cooler showers, and shorter ones.  And, I know it is a long shot, but, if he has areas of skin that he'd be willing to do this to, see if he'd put some vaseline on it.  Massage it in gently.  I know that at least when the kids were little, and we had to slather them in vaseline, sometimes we did the same thing to the areas on their heads that hadn't grown a lot of hair yet.  Now it would be a bit harder...... but I still might try it if I needed to bring relief to them.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
18 Posts
<p>I have pretty severe eczema and my son does as well. Eczema is connected with with his digestive system. In my case, my ND said that I have a leaky gut after a Elisa test. I test positive for many foods. I have a limited diet now, I did get a little better after I cut out the certain foods, but I still have dry and flaky skin, and it will itch occasionally. Its a matter of healing the gut, eating foods that don't irritate it and allowing it to heal. People do rotation diets to all the gut to heal. Its a long process and it will take time, months, even years. Its been almost a year for me, but I will continue to search for the answer for myself and my son. As long as he continues to eat as he pleases, he will have that itchy burning scalp. Its not until he eliminates what is causing it, will he start feeling some relief. I am sure he will figure it out. That itch and burn is unbearable, I know.</p>

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
<p>Eczema is food allergy, food intolerance, or environmental allergy. More rarely, it is caused by stress (but the more I see it, the more I doubt it). If he has it all the time, it's probably something he eats pretty regulary (dairy, gluten, soy, corn, and eggs are all top eczema offenders). If it's more sporadic, then it would be easier to find out what it is, and a food diary (down to ingredient level) would be a huge help.</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts