Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was in the NICU for ten days. I pumped every 2 hours without fail during the day and three hours at night. By day ten I was getting 3-4 ounces from each side (8 ounces each pumping session)!

Needless to say, my 10 day old does NOT drink that much at all. He only takes one side at a time, and I am using a nipple shield to help him control the flow, as he will not stay latched to me without!

Today I sit here typing with cabbage on my boobs, I smell like a cabbage field. This hurts badly.

Last night I decided this was not good when I pumped 17 ounces in one session. I did not pump through the night, and that was hard! I am trying to not pump today....I did this morning, 5 ounces each side (still did not empty the breast, and I would like to continue pumping in the morning), and then I just HAD to pump about an hour ago to relieve severe pain under my right arm pit! I pumped 5 ounces, which still left the breast very firm. I think I will have to pump again this evening, or I will not be able to sleep. I am attempting to block nurse, but the baby does not eat but every 2.5 to 3 hours since he gets so much!!! So if I go 2 feeds on one side, the other side is not eaten on for 9 hours...OUCH! So I am mostly just doing one side per feed.

Please help with any other suggestions! This is making it hard to hold my baby against my chest and pick up my toddler....it is physically draining also!

PS also posted in July 2006

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Have you tried ice or a cold bag of peas on your chest? I had huge oversupply with dd1 and when I was trying to correct it got so engorged I would wince when she touched my breasts when nursing. I kept ice packs in my bra on and off through the night and even took some motrin when it got really bad. It did get dramatically better after about a week or so. I know pumping helps, but do try to decrease the time/amount you pump at each session as the days go by and hopefully you'll see an improvement before long! And
to you for being so dilligent with the pumping and protecting your supply even if it means having to adjust downward now.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump....i need advice from the pros!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heatherfeather...thanks, i think i may have to do cabbage tonight, as I am starting out already engorged! I did not pump as much today as yesterday...so that is a start!!! Ps my name is heather too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts