Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having severe pain in my lower abdomen ALL the ob doctors on post refuse to check anything out they are terrible ob doctors...I am not allowed to see anyone off the base because I won't have insurance coverage...I am scared and want to make sure everything is ok...I am about doubled over in pain...I have 2 other children ages 3 and 4 so I can't just lay down all day...I need some suggestions please...I am 18w 4d...

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
What kind of pain? What started it? Is it localized or generalized?

If the pain is localized in your lower right quadrant (lower than your belly button and on your right side), and esp if your temp is elevated, go to the ER NOW. You could have appendicitis (assuming you still have your appendix!). there are lots of other things in your abdomen right now other than your uterus, though many doctors seem to forget that fact.

If the pain came on after a movement - getting out of bed, bending over to pick something up and standing quickly, or picking up one of your kids, for example - it could be round ligament pain. I've heard it gets worse each pregnancy, so even if you weren't particularly bothered by it with your previous 2, it could be really bad this time. Heat packs and moving slow might help with that.

Severe abdominal pain is nothing to ignore, even when not pregnant. An ER trip might be the best thing - by-pass the silly OBs who won't tend you properly.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I don't have my appendix anymore and no it didn't start when I got up I was sitting down when the pain started...I am still in severe pain I tryed to take a nap and couldn't sleep very well...I have been drinking TONS of water and gatorade today as well hoping that would help and still nothing...The er doctors are worse than the ob so that's not going to help either...I have another post about the er as well about my bad experience...I wish there was something I could do...I am not sure if you are very familiar with ers on bases but they can make you wait up to 24 hours to be seen I THINK the reason is because all the doctors on post tell EVERYONE to go to the er if they have any problems so there is ALWAYS a VERY full er it's even harder to get in to see a doctor...If you have a problem you have to wait ATLEAST 2 weeks to get in...

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Hiii. I'm an Army wife as well (Ft Hood)...do you have tricare prime? If so, you can go offpost. My ob is offpost (Thank the Lord lol)...did you have any previous abdominal surgeries? (ie, c section)...pain my be nothing or it could be something severe. My baby girl died of uterine rupture 6 months ago and I remember feeling a dull ache on one side of my abdomen...DO NOT WAIT FOR HELP....
yes, I know the ers on post can be hectic. I dread going. If its too bad, we go offpost for emergencies as well...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi....I'm sorry you're in so much pain. At around 16 weeks I was in almost unbearable pain...doubled over and really not knowing how long I could endure it. My midwife ordered an ultrasound but thought it was round ligament muscles. It turns out it was scar tissue (not very stretch friendly) from an extensive & botched appendectomy 10 years prior. The pain was excrutiating. The upside was it came in 2 bouts, each lasting about 3 days at the worst. Fortunately I haven't experienced it since. Is that a possibility for you....you mentioned your appendix had been removed? Good luck mama

·
Registered
196 Posts
if its an emergency tricare will cover it, i would go to an offpost facility if i were you. i hate military drs , specialyl at the ER they tend to give u motrin and send u on your way . you end up with a collection of motrin lmao. but seriously in an emergency tricare covers it u just have to call em within like 24-48 hrs after your seen though to let them know and im sure u have to fill out paperwork etc. the last base i was at didnt have an OB on base
so i was referred offbase but i know how much of a pain military drs can be, here i dont get seen on base either there isnt a hospital on the base we are at so im being seen at a german hospital. i hate going there but i got no choice but at least in the states u can ogo to another hospital wich is what id be doing, just let tricare know it was an emergency and that was the closest to u , where u were at the time it happened
they alway scover it in emergency cases as long as u notify them asap

·
Registered
295 Posts
upper right quadrant pain is liver, lower can be round ligament or appen (not in your case obviously)

the military ladies are correct on the tricare front, itll cover emerg. and any pain that isnt relieved by reg dr IS an emergency by insurance standards
Im an emergency med tech with an er backround so Ive gotten familiar with insurance (all of it sucks btw)

That said, Im not affraid to pull "after my signifigant other got his ass shot off in Iraq you should be a BIT more concerned about his baby!" youd be surprised how guilt inspiring this can be but hes not active anymore, disabled vet and we arent married so I dont have tricare

ive dealt with the sub base for emergencies though and DP's VA dr's
I dont know how anyone doesnt strangle them for their substandard care.....but thats another story

I hope you get your pain resolved mama and some reassurance that all is well.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was admitted into the hospital a month ago and for some reason the hospital on base sent me to an off post hospital to get an ultrasound of my kidneys and tricare prime will NOT cover it...I have had to go to the other hospital for something that would have def. killed me if not seen and they won't cover that either...My husband and I went up to the hospital on post and talked to the tricare office and they are the ones who said that I will NOT have insurance if I choose to go off post...This is so frustrating...I am on Fort Sill and they totally suck here...I tryed calling ob yesterday and today they had me on hold forever and finally told me to go to the er...I am sorry but after them giving me valium and telling me my baby was going to die that night and there was nothing they could do I REFUSE to go back to that er...I would just go to the other er off post but I already have bills from me and my girls there cuz I didn't know we couldn't go there...Not to mention my husband REFUSES to take me there because he is getting out in Jan. and we don't have the money now let alone in Jan. ykwim? thanks for the suggestions though...The pain isn't as bad today but still worries me...It is possible it's pain from my c-section scar...I have had 2 c-sections the pain is just higher so I didn't figure it could be...

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Please if you are in severe pain, work out the insurance later. Go to the ER off base. Call an OB off base. We have been in the situation of not having insurance and needing emergency care. More than a couple of times. The hospital may apply you for medicaid...which can be retroactive. Though I don't know how this/if this works with military families.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Do you have any fibroids in your uterus? I do and my MW told me that sometimes they can cause extreme pain as the uterus is growing. Of course, she said to come in right away if I have any pain.
I am so so sad that you are feeling stuck without the health care and support that you deserve as a human being. Please take tender care of yourself.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Have you ever had an ovarian cyst problem before?

This just happened to me on Sunday, and I see that we are very close on due dates. The ER docs said, "Maybe round ligaments?" But I KNOW what that feels like, and this wasn't it.

I had an ovarian cyst rupture in my last pregnancy and I now suspect that this is what happened again. VERY painful.

Lots of luck to you, and it's always worth getting checked out, even if you are the only one who believes in your pain.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I would love to be able to go to the er and worry about the bills later but I guess you would have to know me and my situation...I have severe anxiety and don't need anymore bills on my plate I have way too much stress already...Medicaid is NOT an option
As far as something being wrong I don't have a clue I have never had fibroids (I don't have a clue what they are) and I have never had any ovarian cysts either...they never do any tests the only time they did is when I was in severe pain had a temp. and I had a kidney infection but then all they did was a kidney ultrasound...They never want to do what a doctor should do...I just keep taking tylenol and resting as much as I can...Thanks everyone

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm so sorry you're having these problems. Navigating tricare can really take a lot of advocating for yourself, which with anxiety problems may be really tough to pursue. You might investigate your other insurance options like switching to standard with maternity care co-pays or use the prime point-of-service option to be seen by civilians. But most certainly a true medical emrgency is covered my prime at a civilian er, and you likely needed a non availability statement for your previous off post tests. It's just so hard to get the run around when you're pregnant and dealing with a lot of stress and anxiety already. When I feel like that I can't even pick up the phone. Hang in there, I hope you can get the care you need.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
Please if you are in severe pain, work out the insurance later. Go to the ER off base. Call an OB off base. We have been in the situation of not having insurance and needing emergency care. More than a couple of times. The hospital may apply you for medicaid...which can be retroactive. Though I don't know how this/if this works with military families.

Amen. In the end, wants most important is that everything is ok for mom and the baby. Money can be worked out later...

When we first got here, we were told that if we had tricare prime, we shouldn't spend a dime. And we haven't. Not for the ultrasounds (i had to have a few at an OFFPOST hospital for emergencies) or anything. BUT my dh told me a few months ago that for ppl who are already being seen on base, can not go off base (something of that nature). Thats how it was told to him. Because we were thinking of an onpost doc while we look for another ob...but now, we're not going on post. But with tricare prime, you shouldn't have to pay for anything. Even meds. This is odd...
:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyof2soon2b3 View Post
Well I would love to be able to go to the er and worry about the bills later but I guess you would have to know me and my situation...I have severe anxiety and don't need anymore bills on my plate I have way too much stress already...Medicaid is NOT an option
As far as something being wrong I don't have a clue I have never had fibroids (I don't have a clue what they are) and I have never had any ovarian cysts either...they never do any tests the only time they did is when I was in severe pain had a temp. and I had a kidney infection but then all they did was a kidney ultrasound...They never want to do what a doctor should do...I just keep taking tylenol and resting as much as I can...Thanks everyone
Look, I know its hard for you to understand...but I swear...if going broke would bring my daughter (who was stillborn to uterine rupture) back I would do it. Please go make sure you are ok (as well as the baby's environment). Its worth it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I just had to post to you. I'm a miltary wife and know a LOT about tricare b/c they have tired to screw me one too many times. Let me tell you that if the drs on base send you off base then tricare HAS to cover the cost if you had a referal. And if you are tricare prime. And tricare will tell you that they won't cover if you go to the er but if you go they WILL and HAVE to cover it. An emergancy is just that! If I were you I'd go to the ER in the next town too b/c you could say that you were out when it started and went right to the ER.

As far as the OB goes keep calling them and they will give in. Ask to leave a message for the dr don't take no for an answer. If a nurse calls you back say that you want to talk to a dr. does your OB have walk in appts? If so tell them you want a same day appt. Also you could call L&D and get them to see you.

I'm so sorry you are having so many problems with the base drs and er. My experience is that you have to keep bugging them and stand your ground. Make them crazy and they will see you. If you would like to chat more about it then please PM me. I've been around the military all my life so this is nothing new to me.

Good luck sweetie.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyof2soon2b3 View Post
...I tryed calling ob yesterday and today they had me on hold forever and finally told me to go to the er...I am sorry but after them giving me valium and telling me my baby was going to die that night and there was nothing they could do I REFUSE to go back to that er...t is possible it's pain from my c-section scar...I have had 2 c-sections the pain is just higher so I didn't figure it could be...
Why did they say your baby is going to die? Did they do an ultrasound when they gave you the valium? Could it be that you have an ectopic pregnancy as well? Your scar could be pulling apart or your placenta could be separating. A friend found out she had Crohn's disease while pregnant and had to have surgery because part of her intestines had died and were poisoning her body. A whole bunch of scary things could be going on, because severe pain is a sign from your body telling you something is wrong and you shouldn't ignore it. Round ligament pain does not stick around like that.

I know you don't have money to pay the bills you do have, I totally understand that because I am right where you are at too, we are barely surviving right now too but if something was going wrong with my baby now, bills be damned because I am doing to do all that I have to do to save this baby. They can't put you in debtor's prison anymore, nor can you or your children be sold into slavery for your debts, so anything else is definitely preferable.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you so much everyone for your input...I have been trying to call ob the past few days and they just tell me to go to the er (WARNING TMI AHEAD) I also had some fluid leaking I stood up and the gush of fluid came out and ran down my leg it was a little bloody but it happened just the once since a few weeks ago...I do not have an eptopic pregnancy wouldn't that have killed me by now if I did?I am 19 w tomorrow...I plan on keeping on the doctors because I know you do have to keep on them about the same thing 50 times in order for them to do anything...I am going to do what I can because being in pain for 3-4 days is not cool and it worries me...I have been having a lot of B&H as well which scares me that it will turn into real contractions...Once again thank you sooo much

·
Registered
484 Posts
What you just posted is a bona fide emergency. Go to the off base hospital and deal with the other stuff later. Your health and your baby's health are at risk. Your kids need you. A medical bill that should be covered by insurance even if you have to fight is less than what your partner would have to pay for childcare if something happened to you.

PLEASE go now!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts