Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm already taking Prilosec (a PPI) for reflux in pregnancy, I can add Zantac (an acid reducer in a separate class), right? I think I did that with my last pregnancy (and baby #2 , essentially, though I was on Rx Nexium and added Zantac).

As if on cue, the beginning of 3rd trimester has cued the beginning of the "waking up choking on your own reflux" stage of pregnancy for me. Having a short torso and a big uterus is a painful combo. I also likely have a hiatal hernia--they can be intermittent, but the pressure of the uterus can push the stomach through a weakened diaphragm.

I'm SO SO tired, but can't lie down. :'( I woke up aspirating earlier, then threw up (and peed myself), and now I have a GERD cough and sore throat.

I think I'm going to get REAL friggin tired of baked chicken and baked potatoes for 3 months. :/ (the only foods that seem to not trigger heartburn)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've been wondering how you've been doing -- so sorry about your awful reflux! I too would be bored to death with that limited food palate! I've never had anything more than mild heartburn so I can't offer any advice on the meds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Aww, @stegenrae, I'm so sorry to hear you are dealing with all of that! :( I wish I had advice to offer, but all I have are some virtual (((HUGS))). I hope you find relief soon - sooner than 40 weeks, that is!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the sympathy, all! ;) I've been trying to limit my online time since we started our new homeschool year four weeks ago now, so I haven't been on much longer than enough to read threads on my phone. (and I hate responding/typing on my phone, so get lazy and just don't do it.)

I've been taking the OTC dosage of omeprazole, so I can double that--one in the morning, one in the evening. Then I can do the OTC Zantac twice a day the same way, in between those other dosings. I already do really expensive, fabulous enzymes and super probiotics, and that's what has allowed me to only be on the regular OTC dose of the Prilosec.

This--plus my pubis symphysis--are why I am a crappy pregnant person. I have some friends who love being pregnant, but hate labor and birth; I'm the opposite. I can handle the labor and birth part, but the pregnancy is pretty miserable for me. I was doing fine until the halfway point when my pelvis started being wonky and more painful, but now 3rd trimester realities have hit and reminded me why I suck at being pregnant. :p

·
Registered
506 Posts
Poor Stegenrae, that sounds awful. There'll be downtime soon. We also started our homeschool early, July 6th w/ the plan to have the first semester done when baby gets here. I'm thinking we'll actually be done in Oct. but I had some unforeseen interruptions pop up last night so it might be right when baby gets here after all.

·
Registered
755 Posts
stegenrae, I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. I have a family history of hiatal hernias, so I'm hoping I can escape some similar issues. I know my grandfather used to do a special massage move on his stomach region after eating that seemed to help him - not sure if it was something official or just something he came up with. Might be worth a try?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting @stardogs! I might ask a couple body work friends of mine about it. But during pregnancy, I think it's probably a moot point. I have such a short torso, everything is squished in there already--there'd be nowhere for it to go until baby vacates. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts