Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.....2 questions.......

1) Do you use scissors or a rotary cutter to cut out your cloth??

2) When cutting out material for diapers (PUL and fleece to be exact) how do you get them exactly the same size?????

It's been a long time since I've sewn and I'm sorry I have such stupid questions!!!!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
1. I always use scissors, but I only have a small mat for rotary cutting, so I haven't tried that.

2. For turned and topstitched diapers, I like the Honeboy method of pinning the two layers together and then tracing the pattern onto it, and sewing along your pattern/stitching line. Does that make sense? Then you never have to bother with careful cutting! For serged diapers, I purposefully make the stretchy layer (i.e. fleece) a little larger than the more stable layer (i.e. PUL), and then trim as I go.

Hope this is more helpful than confusing!!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I love my rotary cutter, use it pretty much for everything.
I have just started sewing cloth diapers, my previous sewing experience is with quilting.
The Honey Boy pattern is really nice to work with, but I have had good luck with the Cuddlebuns.
Nancy

·
Registered
72 Posts
I love my rotary cutter, it's so much faster than using scissors.

As to your other question, I don't know. I would think that laying both fabrics together and then the pattern on top and cutting around it with the rotary cutter would give you two pieces the same size.

Even if one piece is larger it shouldn't matter too much. You can always pin them together and top stitch with the smaller side up so you can see it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.