Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would realy like to make a Mai Tai Babycarrier...
Has anyone done this here? Do you have a pattern? If not a pattern, basic measurements of a Mai Tai so I could make one.

I would like to make one for a friend that is having a baby this summer...
Any ideas would be great!!!

I may go do a google search later today and see if I can find anything...

I don't want to buy one....I want to make it myself...my friend loves handmade items from her friends...so that is what i would like to do for her.

TIA

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I used the Jan Andrea pattern. I used a stretch cotton poplin (3% spandex) for the straps and one side of the body of the carrier-used something decorative for the reverse. I made the straps pretty wide, about 5 inches when finished. I love the bit of stretch--very comfy. I'm in the process of adding padding to the leg area. I also added a bit of padding at the top of the carrier as a more comfy headrest. Our digital camera batteries need to be charged, or I"d post a photo. I'll try to do that tomorrow.

I have fabric to make an Asian print brocade Mei Tie too, if I ever get some time to sew!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I used the pattern listed above too and it worked well. A few adaptions I would make next time would be thicker straps and a narrower body. It's funny that you posted this because I literally just dug mine out of my fabric bin, DD hated being on my back when she was younger so I tucked it away. Now she loves to ride on my back so I decided to give it another go.

I used a heavy weight cotton (from the clearance bin
) and piece of scrap for a bit of color and it probably cost less than 3 bucks to make. Very cost effective carrier.

Here's a pic of mine back when it was sewn, DD was just a wee one then
: Mei Tai

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tink79
Here's a pic of mine back when it was sewn, DD was just a wee one then
: Mei Tai
Hillary, that's cool! Do you have the straps crisscrossed around you inside the carrier or do you have a loop on the sides of the body to pass the strap through?? I really don't like a lot of tying, but find I am so much more comfortable when the carrier has lots of crisscrossing.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rubelin
Hillary, that's cool! Do you have the straps crisscrossed around you inside the carrier or do you have a loop on the sides of the body to pass the strap through?? I really don't like a lot of tying, but find I am so much more comfortable when the carrier has lots of crisscrossing.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out the hows&whats of the straps there, too ...

It's a beautiful carrier.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rubelin
Thanks ladies

Yes, the top straps come up over my shoulders, back around to the front, criss cross and tie in the back. The bottom straps (I believe) loop around to my back and back around to the front and tie under DD's bum.

The way I wore it this weekend was the back carry and I did the same tying routine reversed. Since she likes to ride on my back anyway, I told her to hop on (after I had tied the bottom straps) then just pulled the straps up over my shoulders and went from there.

jackieg213, it was the jan andrea pattern.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I just made a whole bunch of mei tais for baby shower gifts. Everyone around me seems to be pregnant. lol I used a combination of the sleeping baby pattern, with my own shoulder straps, and the pocket from Beth's mei tai. I have made each carrier a slight bit different, but I finally settled on my favorite dimentions and angles. My waist straps are 3.5 inches wide and not angled, my shoulder straps are 6 inches wide, 45 degree angle and non padded - super comfortable with my 37lb 3 year old on my back. If I carry him in a rucksack, then I can choose to fan the shoulder or bunch it up. I really like 10 oz denim for all the straps and 2 body layers and what ever you want as the decorative pocket. Twill also works great for straps and body layers. I will post pictures when I can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts