Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I want to say that I often come up with sewing ideas and sew without a pattern, but my ideas often don't work very well. So, because I don't want to mess up with this particular fabric, I need to have others tell me if they think this will work or not.<br><br>
I have a stretchy cotton fabric that I got while traveling in Southeast Asia quite a long time ago. It's a thick weave and in good condition still. Measures 46 X 73.5 inches and has fringe on both ends. I'm thinking I will cut it in half, sew the end on the cut side, and then make an adjustable pouch out of it. So the pouch should be about 22 inches wide, which I think is a pretty good width. I like the fringe and don't want to lose it. I thought it would be uncomfortable to have it on the inner part of the pouch, so I thought I would have to lose it on one end just the same. So, I thought that maybe I would cut it off of one end and sew the uncut and cut ends together with several reinforcements to make a tube. And then I thought I would make the smiley face type of cut somewhere in the middle. Do you think that having two different seams in the pouch would weaken it too much?<br><br>
To make it adjustable for both DH and I, I thought I would just sew some buttons and button holes on it. I have never actually seen an adjustable pouch though. How many buttons would I need to provide the strength needed? Will buttons make it strong enough? Or should I use something else instead?<br><br>
TIA for any advice you can give me.<br><br>
ETA: One thing I have learned through the years of sewing without patterns is to not sew things to where it's going to take hours to rip it apart. Along with this pouch, I'm also planning on making a sling and an asian carrier for this baby that is coming in August. I pretty much have decided that I need to go back to my old way of sewing and using a short stitch length and re-inforced stitches for the baby carriers just because they will be holding my newborn. Should I use a stitch length of 1 for these projects? Or will 2 be enough?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I've decided that making two non-adjustable pouches, one for me and one for my husband, will be easier than making a single adjustable pouch. You might consider that, unless you both want to be able to share the special fabric.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts