Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on a few things for me. I have a Singer Quantum 9920 that I received as a gift a little less than a year ago. I've only been using it regularly for maybe 6 months or so.

I'm entirely self-taught, a real fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of sewer. So maybe there's just some aspect of this I never thought to learn about.

- I'm having all these tension issues. I get the bobbin inserted and the needle threaded, and then when I hit the button to lower the needle into the fabric the thread zips out and back into the machine. Then when I try to rethread and start over, something doesn't catch properly with the bobbin thread and I get a whole messy nest of loops on the reverse side of the fabric. Adjusting the tension dial doesn't *seem* to improve it.

- I almost never switch out the presser foot... I'm sewing mostly cotton wovens, sometimes fleece or satin, occasionally PUL. Does it really make a big difference?

- How often do you get your machine serviced? Is this something I should be doing routinely? Would it help with my thread-catching-in-the-machine issue?

I apologize in advance if these are dopey questions... I realize I'm coming across as a bit of a n00b. I really do make some nice stuff, when I can get the machine to be my friend!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hi, I'm no expert sewer but used to have an old 30 yr Singer, and the thing you described with getting a bunch of messy loops on the bottom side of the fabric sounds very familiar. I spent many hours frustrated and ready to throw the entire sewing machine out the glass window.

I figured out that I was threading the needle wrong, missing a little part and that was why everything was weird. Do you have the instruction book? I would go over every detail and see if you missed anything. It was such a small adjustment to make, I am surprised it made so much difference.

It is good to get your machine serviced to clean everything out, but it is expensive--I was quoted $99 just for one cleaning. Maybe someone else has some better advice?

I don't know anything about presser foots either, sorry!

I hope you figure things out soon! I finally killed our machine (died a heroic death to a mei tai) and now we have a new one with zero problems and a warranty plus free 1 hour lesson.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
To avoid that snarl of loops when you start sewing, try holding the thread ends to the rear and left of the presser foot, the threads should be under the foot. Doing this usually solves the problem of both the thread snarl and having the thread disappear out the needle.

If you clean and oil (if needed) your machine regularly, you might be able to skip servicing your machine yearly. If you use your machine all the time and sew difficult fabrics, you might need to take it in more often.

HTH!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, you guys.

I threaded the needle very carefully tonight (usually I'm in a rush to get something sewn before Mr. Wakey-pants gets up!)... and I did keep the threads short and held to the back as I started each seam. I didn't have the same old problems once!! It's a miracle!!

I will have to read through the manual and see if I've been doing a thorough enough cleaning... I want to make sure to treat this machine well, I know it wasn't cheap... but I could spend $99 on so many other things.... !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.