Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the vb aio pattern and modified it to a fitted pattern. I already have a dozen prefolds and 6 sm (really small though) fitteds that my sister gave me.

I want to wash dipes every other day. Should i make mostly smalls or should i do some nb size too? My dd was 7lb 12 oz a week early and my ds was 9lb 6oz on his due date. I don't think that this one is going to be as big as ds, maybe in the 8 and half lb range. I did modify the small pattern so there is loop aplix on the front of one of the tabs, to make it smaller in the waist if need be. I am trying to decide how many i should make of each size or whether i should stick to smalls

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Both my boys were in the '7 lb' range at birth, but they grow so fast, that I just used the smalls and a few flats and they fit them well soon enough....

I would stick to 'stocking up' on smalls, if time/money is issue.
You have a few 'extra small' sized ones you can save for 'snugger' fit during the night for leak protection, and the prefolds will usually adjust nicely if they are not toddler sized prefolds. Plus a small stuffed with a doubler fits tighter for that situation also.

If you have the time/money, a few more NB sized ones are always nice, since they can pee/poo up to 15 times a day early on...and if you want to do diapers every other day, we're talking 30 NB dipes! I think I'd wash more often in the beginning and then have more 'small' sized stuff to make washing every other day more cost effective for your diapering 'buck'.

It sounds like your small fitteds are nice and adjustable, so you will probably be in them sooner than you think and be grateful you didn't have too many NBs that barely got used!

Congrats on your new baby!

I'm doing flats for my NB/small days with wool and some polar fleece covers. Then I'll use the NB/Small flats inside the side snapping pocket dipes I'm sewing up for the medium/large and active stage when they are more likely to pull off things with velcro.../grr

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.