Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made fitted pockets for DS with the darling pattern - but after using the fuzzi-bunz diaper that someone gave us as a gift, I would like to make a pocket using PUL. I ordered white PUL online and made a diaper with microfleece on the inner layer, a hidden layer of PUL and a flannel print on the outside. DS tried the diaper last night and it either leaked or wicked. Can you sew other fabrics over PUL? would this have worked had I used something other then flanel on the outside? If cotton wicks when placed over PUL how do the clothes stay dry? any suggestions for cute pocket diapers using 1 mil PUL?
Thanks!
Jen

·
Registered
48 Posts
With cotton over PUL, it's best to use FOE. Cut the seam allowance off the pattern unless you are making a cover. I usually baste the layers together (some people use washable glue sticks), trim the cotton so that it is a bit smaller than the PUL, then bind the edges with FOE.
You can T&T, if you don't have more than 1 absorbent layer. Microfleece, PUL, and cotton outside can work, but the cotton must not roll in at all, or you will get wicking. Even print PULs will wick if there is a path for the wetness to get to the cotton side.
I have made some cute pockets from a variation of the DD pocket fitted pattern with microfleece inner, hidden PUL, and polyester outer.
Also, as you may already know, you must not use cotton thread.
Did you wash and dry your diaper on hot to seal the sewing holes before you used it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a little trouble with abbreviations, sorry, is FOE - fold over elastic? and I am not sure of T & T. So if I use a polyester outside I should not have to make any adjustments to the pattern? I did not dry the diaper first so that may have been part of the problem.
thanks
Jen

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by westchestermom View Post
a little trouble with abbreviations, sorry, is FOE - fold over elastic? and I am not sure of T & T. So if I use a polyester outside I should not have to make any adjustments to the pattern? I did not dry the diaper first so that may have been part of the problem.
thanks
Jen
Sorry -- FOE = fold-over elastic (buy online)
T&T = turn and topstitch (as the DD pattern is written)

Yes, a polyester outer layer is less likely to wick. Make sure that you have enough absorbent stuff inside; then the liquid will want to stay there (it prefers cotton/hemp/bamboo/microfibre towels over polyester)!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Granny anny thanks so much I had this same question as well. BTW your pockets are the most darling ones I have ever seen!!When you say not to let the cotton roll in when you T&T is it that you need to make sure that you topstitch it all so that it is on the inside

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ 5 View Post
When you say not to let the cotton roll in when you T&T is it that you need to make sure that you topstitch it all so that it is on the inside
I would make sure when you topstitch that the inner microfleece, not the outer cotton, is what touches the baby's skin at the edges. When I topstitch, I like to have the outside layer on top and adjust the inner layer as I sew so that there is a narrow border of the microfleece showing. That's softer for the baby and less likely to wick. Of course, if your inner is velour or something absorbant, you don't want any of that showing on the outside!

(If you don't topstitch, you can still make the inner lining roll to the outside of the leg opening by sewing the elastic to the lining part of the seam allowance. If you sew the elastic to the PUL/cotton side of the seam allowance, the outer layers will roll to the inside of the leg openings and allow wicking if the outer is absorbant. )

Clear as mud?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Use Permanent Water Guard!
Spray along the edges of the cotton fabric so the moisture doesn't soak into it. It is GREAT for stopping leaks!!
Here's a co-op that's going to put in an order pretty soon, too.

·
Registered
590 Posts
This thread has been super useful. I may just need to use FOE because I do a cotton inner and if I put pull and use flannel on the outside I will probably get wicking. I like my baby to feel wet when thy

Can I asked somewhat of a silly question. What fabrics can I put on the outside of pull? 100% cotton?, broadcloth, flannell? I would love to just order the pul on line and get the fabric at hancocks, jolenes, or just use second hand clothing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ 5 View Post
What fabrics can I put on the outside of pull? 100% cotton?, broadcloth, flannell? I would love to just order the pul on line and get the fabric at hancocks, jolenes, or just use second hand clothing.
If you use FOE, you can layer pretty well any washable fabric over PUL -- cotton, old jeans, flannel, polyester.... but sometimes you may get dampness through the FOE (but I think this is usually when the absorbent layers are saturated), so polyester is better for keeping drier outside the diaper. As mentioned earlier, though, you can spray the leg areas with waterproofing spray to make them more resistant to wicking.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I use just about any cute fabric I can find on the outside of my PUL AIO's and covers. Most are cotton. I stay away from flannel, mainly b/c I use it for my actual diapers so I want something else to work with for my covers
But also b/c flannel pills.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a couple of diapers made from the DD pattern that I've made with PUL and a flannel outer (what a confused sentence
: )

I've sadly come to the conclusion that flannel doesn't *totally* work - it really depends what your comfort level is with a little wetness. I have tried treating my flannel with a DWR (waterproofing) and it does help, as does using FOE. but at the end of the day - especially if your child is wearing a onesie - it will probably wick a little.

That said, I have enjoyed using my cute flannel prints as outers on my pockets! I don't know what I'll use when it comes time to sew more - I have been buying diaper cuts of PUL (basically just enough to make one diaper) in cute prints.

Another tip I have is to somehow fasten together the PUL and outer fabric and treat them like one layer. Someone suggested using a washable glue, and that has worked nicely.

Good luck with the diapers!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I put my first DD Pocket AIO through the dryer (the one with flannel on the outside) and that seemed to do the trick. Since then, DS has slept in it at night and didn't even have leakage then. I used a prefold to stuff it-- so I definitely think it matters how much absorbant material you stuff it with too.

I also made 3 more of the same pattern but using poly on the outside, rather than flannel, and after putting them through the dryer and stuffing them well, they seem to work well too.

Lots of great ideas and feedback here. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
There are a ton of great poly prints out there. I have used them on my son's covers.

Jumbo paper clips work well for putting the fabric together as one. They are a little harder to work with, when using foe, than using a washable glue stick. I use them a lot for turned pockets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.