Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a teenage niece that has recently moved in with us. My dds are toddlers so I am a newby when it comes to teen issues.

One thing that I am curious about is the jelly bracelets that she wears. I asked her about them but she blushed and didn't want to answer my questions. This has made me even more curious and now I want to know what each of them mean.

I feel like we will have to have some talks about sex pretty soon and I would like to know what I might be dealing with here. Can anyone help me out with the code to the colors of the bracelets?

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
My daughter has warn armloads of these for years, and says the sex thing (each color means you do a different sex act on the person who snaps it off your wrist) is just BS, for her any any kid she's ever known. Maybe some kids somewhere use them like that, but she's worn them while living in three states and it hasn't been an issue, ever. I think it's a prime example of how adults want to think the worst of teens, so rumors like this get blown way out of proportion. It was even on an episode of Judging Amy....

dar

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Yep, what you said dar!

And "eighty"....good job making the adults nutty! And makes for a great sensationalistic newscast!

I wear jelly bracelets...right now I have about 10 on--mostly pink, purple and blue (with one clear). And, uh, I'm not about to do ANYTHING to anyone who snaps it off but yell at them and make them buy me a new set. And fwiw, I'm not too far from being a teen (I'm 22, with 19 and 16 year old sisters who both rolled their eyes when my mom asked them if what she "heard on the news" was true).

It's 99.99% BS.

BUT--I do know a few teens who wear like 20 on each wrist (like bottom sleeves) to cover up scars from cutting themselves.

HTH,
Kelly

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
A fellow classmate of mine in grad school was talking about how her school has banned them (she's the principal) because of the sex issue. I'd never heard of it (and I wear them) and told DH - who thought it was a bunch of BS. Glad to know he's right!

When I was a young adult (19-22) I wore them on my right wrist like a bottom sleeve with thin and thick ones and a few other bracelets so that there was a HUGE tan line when I took them off finally. But I didn't do it to cover up scars from cutting myself. I'm sorry to hear that some do.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
"Sex bracelets" are BS. There's evidence that they're actually a "media circus" -- the "trend" was actually CREATED by the media. No child or teen I ever knew ever played that game before the "news story" -- or AFTER. A few kids may have done it after the story, but middle- and high-schoolers are a lot more "chicken" than you'd think. A girl isn't going to put out just because a guy snapped her bracelet unless she was already planning on it, KWIM?

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Its just a fad. -though the logic behind it does have a black sense of humor.
:

At our school it was a pull tab from a soda can. (we called em F*ck Tabs)
Only if the ring was unbroken it was redeemable for sex. I seriously doubt if anyone *actually* acted on them though.

Then in H.S it was Wrangler tabs The plastic tag on the butt. If a guy could pin you & rip one off with his teeth, you 'owed him' a lay. It was a sick but fun 'courting ritual' :LOL the key was if it was a guy you liked you didnt fight very hard.......

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms.Doula
:

Only if the ring was unbroken it was redeemable for sex. I seriously doubt if anyone *actually* acted on them though.
I remember this from high school too...

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Bunches of little girls wear jelly bracelets around these parts, and they are not having sex, or even thinking about having sex. They are most popular for the under 12 or 14 yr old set-- at least here.

I think your niece was embarrassed because she knows you've probaly heard the hype and she wasn't comfortable talking to you about it. If she has had to be removed from the custody of her paretns, she probably has had lots of experience being the bad girl. (Just surmising, so don't shoot me. But if a young girl can't live with her parents, something must be going on).

You prob should talk to her and reassure her you know it's just about fashion--that you don't have any bad thoughts about her.

People love to make teens into devils---don't fall for the hype. If she lives with you, you know where she is, yk? Don't think the worst of her. Although I know you probably are not.
Since you've taken her in.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms.Doula
:

Then in H.S it was Wrangler tabs The plastic tag on the butt. If a guy could pin you & rip one off with his teeth, you 'owed him' a lay. It was a sick but fun 'courting ritual' :LOL the key was if it was a guy you liked you didnt fight very hard.......
OMG Hilarious! We used to do the soda tab thing and it never went anywhere. I thought it was an whole over-reaction in the media with the jelly bracelets. I remember high shcool and while there was a lot of sex (I was one of only like 30 out of 150 girls who graduated and didn't have a kid or was pregnant at graduation) where I was, we did it the old fashioned way - we dated.

Maybe somewhere, like the schools where boys give themselves "points" for getting a girl to do a sex act. Snapping a jelly bracelt will get you somewhere, but I think anything makes those type of kids make up sex games. You know the kind, bored and their parents never show them enough emotional support so they think sex=love.

Regardless of the trends, the best defense against anything (drugs, sex, wanton cheating, global warming) is to make sure you are a loving, involved parent to the children in your care (born, adopted, fostered or just they kinda showed up at your house one day and you fed them and they stuck around ever since). If you do that and talk to your kids about making good desicions, they'll be alright, regardless what's going on around them.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar
My daughter has warn armloads of these for years, and says the sex thing (each color means you do a different sex act on the person who snaps it off your wrist) is just BS, for her any any kid she's ever known. Maybe some kids somewhere use them like that, but she's worn them while living in three states and it hasn't been an issue, ever. I think it's a prime example of how adults want to think the worst of teens, so rumors like this get blown way out of proportion. It was even on an episode of Judging Amy....

dar

YEP! It is for the most part a BIG urban legend. Not one kid we know who wears these things was really involved in any sex thing. My almost 12 y.o. said "I can't believe how stupid adults are to believe that!"

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Wow, forgot about the pull tabs...and that if you wore green on Thursdays, you were horny.

Pull tabs were never seriously used in high school, but I remember passing them off to guys I was sleeping with in college and getting "paid" for them, lol. But again, we already had a sexual relationship and were being silly.

How sad that girls wear jellies to cover up their cutting scars.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KermitMissesJim
How sad that girls wear jellies to cover up their cutting scars.
it's very sad. Cutting is also a big reason for all those long sleeve shirts the girls cut a thumb hole for (know what I mean? So the sleeve ends up staying on the hand too?)...

That said, MOST are worn cuz they look funky, no other reason. I wear mine cuz they remind me of when I was little, they look funky, the kids in the peds office I work at sometimes LOVE em, and they're just cute and fun.

kelly

1 - 20 of 54 Posts