Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two boys 7 and 9. The younger one talks about penises all the time in a joking way (like he'll sing "Penis, penis, take out your penis!) and he has done this for years. The older one, the more shy reserved one, will laugh at his younger brother's penis jokes but on his own, he seems very ashamed of his body, and at this age will not let me see him in his underwear (I know this is normal for his age). Both of them say they are disgusted by girls and girls things (again a fairly normal reaction although it doesn't help that the school they go to is all boys until 8th grade...I would transfer them, but there isn't a really good alternative right now). Both of them have already talked to me about having an erection. A very progressive parent told me about a book called "The Guide to Getting It On" which she got her 8 yr old. Seems a tad too much too soon for us. When I looked on Amazon, I don't see a whole lot for tweens other than some moralistic books that include the staple "peer pressure" and "stay away from drugs" conversations about body consciousness. Is there some fun way of opening the gates for my kids to explore their sexual truths that is not too much all at once?

·
Registered
18 Posts
My boys are always joking like that too :) They are 10 and 6. I'm using the 4-book series called God's Design for Sex (http://amzn.to/1BVbTgT). There are four different books based on ages, and there's a boy version and a girl version. They're factual and the information is presented well. I'm glad I have them. I had "The Talk" with my oldest a few weeks ago, and the book was a great starting point. He had totally different questions than I anticipated but ... ;)

Hope this helps!

FreeButterfly70

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I liked the Usborne book What's Happening to Me? It might be a little too much for the 7 yo but I think it would be good for the 9 yo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts