Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so sex is a good natural labor inducer. Got that. I understand that semen is a natural prostoglandin (??) that helps ripen the cervix. BUT... I'm sooo not in the mood for sex right now! I feel like a huge whale with absolutly ZERO energy. I can let Dh have a little fun with me -- ya know, for the good of the team. But should I try to make sure I have an orgasm too? Does that add an extra punch to the labor kick-start?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yep - semen is great for ripening the cervix, but your having an orgasm can help stimulate uterine contractions as well. So go for it if you'r up to it!

By the way, I've heard and read in several places lately that swallowing semen (trying to keep it clean here) can help as well - that it acts as a prostoglandin when ingested as well. Anyone know about this? Dh is REALLY hoping to try this method

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I do believe the orgasm would give it that special boost, but we may need to resort to - uh- lazier methods of acheiving one these days.

If you have something that "assists" you in this regard, I suggest using it.
I am not physically up to orgasming the old fashioned way right now.

You'll notice after a climax how immediately your uterus contracts. It is all connected! As Ina May says, Birth is Sexual!!

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Quote:
By the way, I've heard and read in several places lately that swallowing semen (trying to keep it clean here) can help as well - that it acts as a prostoglandin when ingested as well. Anyone know about this? Dh is REALLY hoping to try this method
No thank! Unless puking is likely to put me into labor! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What if you have an orgasm before the semen goes in? Does that still help soften the cervix or does it need to be after? LOL

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I know we need to have sex and that the benefits are great, but like the OP, I am SO not even in the mood -- I have not had sex dreams even in a long time. Second trimester was my time to shine, lol. How to get in the mood, anyone?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesireeH
No thank! Unless puking is likely to put me into labor! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
funny! who know if it's really legit anyway - we'll probably discover that it was concocted by playboy to secure the manfolk a little action before baby comes and takes over

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Hmm well if I understand the prostaglandins thing correctly, it's beneficial for the sperm to come in contact with the cervix. (Dunno about the ingestion thing, but maybe that works too.)

Anyway, so a pre-med student recently told me that orgasm causes the cervix to dip lower into the vagina, thus making it easier for more sperm to get inside (for conception purposes). If that's the case (and he swore that his professor said it is) then I guess if the woman has orgasm after the man does, her cervix would get more benefit from the prostaglandins. At any rate, I'm sure my DH would like this theory

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Yup both seman and orgasim help with labor, for the reasons people have mentioned above. I have also heard that ingesting seman helps, but I bet a male came up with that idea, tested it, and deemed it successful.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
From what I've read it seems that both semen and orgasms can help. Either seperately or together -- that's the beauty of it all.

Ingestion is not going to happen at this house. Like Desiree mentioned, there's the whole puking factor (which is *so* not sexy... I mean, gagging is just... well, it's a mood-killer!). With this pregnancy I have had The Worst Gag Factor. Nearly anything can make me gag (and this has been *so* fun while changing diapers!).

Direct contact on the cervix I can do though, so that's okay. And getting to peak? I'm all about pointing this out to dh though I don't know how much he appreciates being told about my contracting uterus and speeding along labor while getting 'down' to business. I just tell him to take one for the team

·
Registered
199 Posts
My dh has no problem with the methods to induce labor. My drive hasn't been like it was, but he has his fun about once or twice a week. I tell him, better for my uterus!
He is a teacher, so mostly on the weekends . . .

I have found that a shower head works wonders for conditioning the uterus, iykwim. Did it a lot with second baby and only pushed for 20 mins! and she was 9 lbs. Whatever works

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by judybean
From what I've read it seems that both semen and orgasms can help. Either seperately or together -- that's the beauty of it all.
Really?! Well that certainly helps. So DH can have his fun, and I can have mine at a more relaxed -- read: alone -- pace.
Much much nicer for me at 37 weeks.

(Geez, it sounds like I don't like sex at all. But I really really do! Just not right now...)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taedareth

Anyway, so a pre-med student recently told me that orgasm causes the cervix to dip lower into the vagina, thus making it easier for more sperm to get inside (for conception purposes). If that's the case (and he swore that his professor said it is) then I guess if the woman has orgasm after the man does, her cervix would get more benefit from the prostaglandins.

Actually, not only does the cervix dip down, the uterine contractions of the orgams create a slight vaccum effect to help bring the sperm up past the cervix for ease of conception. Our bodies are so brilliant!

good sex = good fertitlity = good pregnancy = good birth

There is so much unexplored territory about this, I want to write a book about it!

My MW keeps teasing me that orgasmic birth is the exception, not the rule.
If ANY of you get lucky enough to have an orgasmic birth, you MUST write about it!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
We did it! Tee hee. It wasn't overly romantic, more like the kids were occupied and we locked the door. We couldn't find the Astroglide (that's how long it has been!) and I thought, "No way in heck am I going to buy some at the store looking hugely pregnant! Hi, I'm a whale, and I am going to have sex..." Luckily we did find it. And the position was not the best, but hey, I conquered, I saw, and most importantly, I came! LOL. We shall try again, maybe in a better position, soon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.