Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems to be getting way more common among men, especially young men. Or maybe it's not more common, there are just more drugs for it now so we hear about it more? If it is a growing problem, would that likely be vax related? I wonder the same thing about all the infertility that I see everywhere. Are vaxes known to cause these sorts of issues? Just curious

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Quote:
This seems to be getting way more common among men, especially young men.
In the US, I think it's circ related

·
Registered
19,155 Posts
I'm not sure about this. My father and all three of my brothers were circumsized and none of them had any sexual disfunction. In fact I'd have to say that my brothers all suffered from the usual teenage excess of sexual function. Further, both Jews and Muslims have been circumsizing for a long stretch, and I don't think their rate of sex problems was ever particularly significant (in other words, no worse than he rest of the population).

I'm not in favor of circing babies and I'm very glad my grandson didn't have to go through that, but I can't see any obvious connection with current problems.

How about...an aging population? A chemically loaded environment? Poor diet? Lack of exercise? Pharma having drugs to push that supposedly help?

Deborah

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4118976.stm

"Dr Anderson said: "Maybe environmental factors are playing an increasing role as the planet becomes more polluted and factors that disrupt the endocrine system are in the food chain."

http://www.umm.edu/patiented/article...y_000067_4.htm

"One French study suggested that driving for only two hours a day can increase temperature in the scrotum and reduce sperm count. This study was small, however"

"Smoking impairs sperm motility, reduces sperm lifespan, and may cause genetic changes that affect the offspring. One 2002 trial found that men or women who smoke have lower success rates with assisted reproductive technologies. An earlier study reported that men who smoke also have lower sex drives and less frequent sex."

"Malnutrition and Nutrient Deficiencies. Deficiencies in certain nutrients, such as vitamin C, selenium, zinc, and folate, may be particular risk factors for infertility."

"Obesity. Some studies, but not all, have found an association between obesity in men and infertility."

I was an ART in reproductive endocrinology. I read A LOT of research about why impotence and infertility are becoming such HUGE issues. From the research I would trust the most, these are the things that I personally believe are some of the causes. And these beliefs are pretty widespread in the RE world I was in. And many of these things have been issues for who knows how long, but they are worsening with widespread usage/abuse. I am so preoccupied right now with dd that I will post later with research to support.

Remember, more than one of these things only compounds their effect:

1. Increase in environmental estrogens. From water contamination, hormones fed to animals (meat, dairy products), and from estrogen mimickers in plastics.
"Exposure to Estrogen-Like and Hormone-Disrupting Chemicals. European studies have increasingly reported a worsening in male reproductive health and an increase in testicular and prostate cancers...Overexposure to estrogen in male animals reduces the number of Sertoli cells (the cells necessary for the initial development of sperm). Some hormone-disrupting chemicals under investigation included the following:

**Bisphenol A is a widely used chemical found in plastic food containers and bottles that has provoked concern. It has potent estrogen-like effects in low doses. Use of the chemical in female rats has produced prostate abnormalities in their male offspring. However, it is not clear if such animal studies relate to people.
**Phthalates, chemicals used to soften plastics, are under particular scrutiny for their ability to disrupt hormones. Specific phylates of special concern include dibutyl phthalate (DBP), which is found in many products, including cosmetics and clay products sold to children (Fimo, Sculpey). Animals exposed to phylates have significantly impaired sperm count and abnormalities in their reproductive structures, such as the testes. In addition, there is some concern that exposure in pregnant women may affect the offspring.
**Pesticides with estrogen-like effects include DDT, aldrin, dieldrin, PCPs, dioxins, and furans. One 1999 study of couples in a fertility clinic reported that when men had a history of moderate or high on-the-job exposure to pesticides their fertility rates were lower than men without such exposures.
Because of the connection between estrogen and infertility, there has been some concern that plant-based estrogens (phytoestrogens), such as the isoflavones found in soy and other foods, may impair sperm. One study of men who took isoflavone supplements for two months found no negative effects on their reproductive health.
**Most studies of the effects of chemical estrogens have occurred in animals and birds. Tests of single chemicals containing estrogen have reported little danger for people. Some studies suggest, however, that exposure to more than one of these chemicals may be very harmful. At this time, there is no strong evidence supporting a serious harmful effect in people who have normal exposure to these chemicals. Major efforts are underway to determine the extent of any possible harm from these chemicals."

2. 10% of men are infertile due to immunological reasons. Hard to explain, but basically your body starts to attack certain parts of itself (immuno-crap. DD just climbed on me and I can't think of it right now. I will post later) out of confusion. It is the same thing that happens in diabetes when your body starts attacking your pancreas. This can be caused by many things.

http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?...icp=1&.intl=us

http://www.brucegilbertmd.com/public.../BRGauaim.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

http://www.uhmc.sunysb.edu/urology/m...fertility.html

http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?...icp=1&.intl=us

http://www.rbej.com/content/2/1/8

3. (Very important cause)More men than ever in the past are waiting until they are much older, on average, to try to conceive. Same for women. This is most likely the cause of much current infertility.

4. Some research suggests (as seen above) that obesity may play a role in infertility. Though, I must say that I only VERY rarely saw anyone obese during my work (and I met all of my patients).

5. Free radicals.
"Free Radicals (Oxidants). The primary suspects in the link between environmental assaults and infertility are free radicals, also called oxidants. These are unstable molecules, usually containing oxygen, that are released as a by-product of many natural chemical processes in the body. Infections, chemicals, and other environmental assaults can produce high levels of these particles. And, high levels can do harm, even affect the genetic material in cells. Sperm are particularly vulnerable to the damaging effects of this oxidation process. There have been reports that significant levels of oxidants occur in the semen of about 25% of infertile men. Additional investigation is under way."

6. Exposure to hydrocarbons, heavy metals, and radiation.

7. Most controversially-"natural selection". People who used to be unable to conceive generally had biological problems inherently that would keep them from reproducing. Since the 20th century (or at least last half of), many people are being able to conceive whereas they never would have been able to before. There seems to be inheritable disorders/structural abnormalities in lots of men who are now able to procreate which in turn passes on the defect, causing the same infertility issues in subsequent generations many times. So whereas these disorders would be naturally "selected" out to not carry on, they are now able to sometimes.
:

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Oh yeah, I would not be surprised if some infertility cases were directly able to be linked to vaccinations. If you look at the ingredients of the vaccinations, I can imagine your immune system would surely be compromised and confused and allow the attack on the male reproductive (or female) systems.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
ANd for anyone freaked out about the mumps/infertility connection...

It is a very RARE complication

Very few infertility patients have this as the main or even a cause of infertility

I would hazard my opinion that it is a combination of effects. Though it is often hard to tell with things like this, for the above reason. I only ever had two patients with infertility who had ever had mumps. And they were much older and fully vaccinated.

http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/20...00/sandlow.htm
(a useful table on gonadotropins-something far more important to worry about)

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EVC
In the US, I think it's circ related

Quote:
http://www.cirp.org/library/statistics/bollinger2003/
The only known historical compilation of circumcision rates is in Edward Wallerstein's Circumcision: An American Health Fallacy.7 His statistics are estimates for the years 1870 (the year circumcision was introduced to the United States8) through 1979. In 1979 popularity of circumcision reached a record high in the United States at 85%. Since then the rate has been decreasing.
There has been a three-fold decrease in circ's in the US since '79, so I don't see a relationship with increased sexual dysfunction.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnw826
ANd for anyone freaked out about the mumps/infertility connection...

It is a very RARE complication
Very few infertility patients have this as the main or even a cause of infertility

The CDC doesn't even have any stats on it. Besides, there are plenty of other viruses which can cause infertility and STDs as well. Many prescription medications may also cause infertility.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melaya
Are vaxes known to cause these sorts of issues? Just curious

If there's any vaccine likely to be the culprit (based on increased infertility), I would put my money on the Rubella and MMR vaccines.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I think its an all over lifestyle in the US......maybe some circ, some diet, some excercise, some stress, some probably vax.....they do say they haven't been studied for infertility risks etc.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Hmm. I read an article a while back that surmised too many soy-based products in processed food could be a culprit in the infertility crisis... for both men and women. It's causing estrogen imbalance.

Suz

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
meaning i shouldnt drink soy milk so that i dont give ds a problem later in life? (we are bf and dairy sensitive btw)

but then you have to think, if that was true, most vegan people would be infertile!

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I have a nurse friend who thinks that impotence is prevalent in men who have had the snip.
She was mentioning a man who was active into his late 90's when he died. Then she mentioned her dh who is the above mentioned grandson who has lost desire after the snip.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
i dont agree.........dh hasn't had the snip and fizzles sometimes. prescriptions and certain diseases contribute alot to it, and stressful lifestyles.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by romans_mum
meaning i shouldnt drink soy milk so that i dont give ds a problem later in life? (we are bf and dairy sensitive btw)

but then you have to think, if that was true, most vegan people would be infertile!
Well, I certainly don't know if a general rule can be made about soy and fertility (or about anything for that matter.)
I love my soy products (vegetarian), but I've also struggled with infertility... am going to eliminate it when we ttc the next one, so I'll let you know the results.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Quote:

i don't agree.........dh hasn't had the snip and fizzles sometimes. prescriptions and certain diseases contribute alot to it, and stressful lifestyles.
:

I agree on the medicine's and diseases but not on the stress.

My dh has a very stressful job compounded by his boss, terrible pay thus wondering how he will support his family, and then those who decided to sue him for doing his job. We are active, stress makes us more so

I do know there is not a blanket cause, so much plays into it.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
For a soy sub, try goat milk. or almond, or rice. broccoli has a lot of calcium. what do you seek to gain from milk? tell me what vits and mins you seek, and I'll try to help. If you just think you need milk in general, I can tell you that you don't, for the most part, within reason. If you were trying soy to replace cow, then goat is easier to break down and digest.

soy folks-read up on isoflavins and infertility (aka soy based estrogens...think about pumping estrogens into boys)

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
i seek to gain something to put in my cereal and hot tea
I have been thinking a switch to rice milk, im not sure yet, but ds might have a sensitivity to soy as well.

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
I think infertility & impotence are different situations, KWIM? I tend to feel that impotence is something that wasn't previously socially acceptable to discuss in public so who knows if it really is more prevalent. But I think impotence tends to be more of a lifestyle issue (ie stress etc), whereas infertility tends to be more of an environmental issue (ie infection, endocrine disruption, toxicity etc).

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Quote:

i seek to gain something to put in my cereal and hot tea
say hellllooooo to my lil friend, spanky. you might know him from tao: laughup ::snortlaf::

rice, goat, or almond, for you, mama.

oh, crap. assuming no nut allergies either.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts