Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first year that I can remember ever hitting August and still having a perfectly weeded garden and still feeling totally gung ho about gardening. I've even been browsing the seed catalogs planning for next year already. LOL!

I've had great success with grean beans, peas, tomatoes and herbs. My lettuce and cukes have so far been flops. We only have 1 4'/8' bed, so it isn't nearly enough to feed our family, but we have been enjoying the harvest we have had. Next year, I definitely want to expand, but with a new baby coming in December, we'll see if I feel this motivated in the spring - maybe 2 squares will be it for another year.

I'm also finding myself getting more interested in intensive gardening than sfg, and am starting to think about converting a part of our yard to a french-style kitchen garden, but that is probably WAY too ambitious for right now.

How have your gardens done? What is thriving? What is not making it? Are you sticking with SFG next year?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I love my sfg's. I am so happy I did the work to get them put in. I have 3 four by four foot beds, and 3 three by four food beds. I have corn in one whole 4x4 bed. I have cabbage and brussel sprouts spread out, but they got attacked by butterflies so next year they will go in one bed together and get covered by a sf top to keep the butterflies away. The squash is doing fabulous. The spaghetti is vining like crazy and I have 5 fruits growing and so many more blossoms on the vines. The acorn is my favorite plant because it doesn't vine out, it bushes out so I'm not trying to avoid vines inbetween the beds. The butternut is slow growing and the vines are not as hearty, but the blossoms are coming. I think I will nix the peppers. Not enough yield and too picky with the water. The tomatoes are doing great though and I will plant more next year, maybe a whole bed of different varieties. The beans and cucs are blooming nicely. I should have a good harvest of vegetables.

The garden is so full and looks so great. I'm thrilled. I am going to do a fall crop starting mid August. I will pull out the flowers and add some more compose material.

·
Registered
934 Posts
This is our first year SFG and I'm amazed how easy it's been
We just have one 4x4 this year and plan on expanding next year. Our tomatoes and carrots are really thriving! We're having some issues with our beans and snap peas, they are really fried from the sun. I'm already planning for next year too! I plan on adding two 2x6 beds and perhaps another 4x4.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have my first 4x8 bed built, and I filled it today. A couple of the bags of compost were really wet, and the stuff that came out of them was more like clay than soil. There are tons of clods from those few "bad" bags. I'm hoping when it dries, it will be easy to break them up with the rake.

I got my seeds in the mail on Wednesday, at least the ones from Seed Savers. I'm still waiting on the salad mix from Cook's Garden. Oh, and I haven't found trellis netting ANYWHERE. I won't need it right away, but I didn't think it would be hard to find.

·
Registered
934 Posts
UlrikeDG Oh said:
The boys and I made our own out of garden twine and sticks that have fallen from our trees in the backyard. It was free and it's worked really well

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Oh, and I haven't found trellis netting ANYWHERE.
I just used twine on a cedar trellis structure that I built (instead of the pipe trellis Mel recommends, because DH nixed that plan
). It has been working great. But I know that Jung Seeds has trellis netting in their catalog. HTH!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts