Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Does anyone else have this symptom? I keep getting the chills and my hands started to shake pretty noticeably today. I was worried because I was just reading about hypothyroidism and I seemed to match a lot of those symptoms, but it's hard to differentiate what is caused by the pregnancy. I called the ob/gyn and the nurse said she did not know of this as a pregnancy symptom and I may want to contact my regular doc for a thyroid bloodtest. I am hoping, though, this might just be a normal symptom. Anyone else's hands shaking out there?

·
Registered
556 Posts
This is what frustrates me about nurses!!! They make decisions about your medical care without consulting the doc!

My OB tested my thyroid levels (TSH) because it really needs to be in the middle of the normal range for pregnancy... when I was ttc my repro endo had me on low dose pills because I was on the high end of normal and it could cause ttc problems. Your OB should be able to test you for it. It's important in pregnancy! If your thyroid levels are off it can interfere with other hormones like prolactin which tells your body to produce breast milk.

I didn't know that shaking was a thyroid symptom .... but If you're worried, have it tested. I recieved my results the same day.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I feel shaky when I'm hungry. Do you think it's possible you have low blood sugar when you experience the shaking?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieCo View Post
This is what frustrates me about nurses!!! They make decisions about your medical care without consulting the doc!
I also think it's inappropriate that the nurse dismissed you like that. If she didn't know the answer, she should have asked the doc. That's what my office does.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ok, I am so not flaming anyone, and I understand that there are definitely nurses out there that just plain suck. But since I am a nurse, and a big part of my job is talking to concerned parents on the phone (peds nurse) on behalf of the physicians I work for who either A. don't have time to talk to them or B. Just don't want to.
Soooo...I felt inclined to say that it's possible that nurses' job is to answer those types of questions...it's also possible that your OB (who is likely very friendly to YOU) encourages her nurse to answer those types of questions in that exact way in order to save herself the time (both of having to talk to you and having to do the blood work). I can't even tell you how many docs I've worked with who when I've brought messages to them from parents I get a response like "Oh please, I don't know, tell them it's fine." or "You know how to answer that, take care of it."
I'm sorry, my little nurses heart just had to "defend" her...but maybe she's awful, like I said, I know some nurses are.
Regardless, I would definitely get your thyroid levels checked, and if you want your OB to do it just call and tell the front desk you want to make an appt, then you can talk to your doc about it.
You also always have the recourse of telling the nurse "thank you, but I'd really like to speak to my doctor about it, when can she call me back?"
I hope you're feeling better soon!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm crashing here from the June DDC, but way back in the first trimester quite a few of us in our DDC experienced chills with shaking. I would have to get under blankets and huddle for a while to try to stay warm. I had never heard of it as a pregnancy symptom either, so it could just be one of those things that happen to some women at the beginning of pregnancy.

And congratulations on your baby!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
First make sure you don't have a fever...an infection could cause chills and shaking. Rule that out and my next guesses would be hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)- simple way to figure that out is to eat like pp said. Third guess is hypothyroid or anemia for which you can get blood tests for- And go in and make your ob/gyn order the tests rather than having to go to your "regular doc" who you possibly havent seen in a while and you'll have to give a whole history to. Your ob/gyn is a doc and is perfectly capable of diagnosing any of these things. GL!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I can't believe I found this post here--when I was eating dinner tonight, I noticed that my hand was shaking when I was using my spoon to eat some soup. It wasn't a shaking like I was cold or had low blood sugar--it was like I couldn't completely control the utensil. It freaked me out!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for all of your awesome advice, ladies! I will definitely check w/ my ob/gyn to get my thyroid levels checked just in case. I called my regular doc and she's booked solid until summer so I feel better knowing that this is something I can handle w/ my ob/gyn. I honestly don't know what it is - hypoglycemia or hypothyroidism or perhaps nothing at all, but you guys gave me great comfort and advice! Thank you so much

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.