Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had trouble with an infant who has (had) a shallow latch? I'm trying to get him to open his mouth without much success. He just gets incredibly annoyed with the whole situation and starts crying. I didn't have this problem with my first born and within the past week I've been starting to get some really intense nipple pain. Maybe I should get some help from a lactation consultant...

·
Registered
228 Posts
My dd's shallow latch was fixed by my pressing her back into me quite firmly between her shoulder blades with with my whole hand. Like a lot more firmly than I thought was needed. My doula showed me that- she had done some breastfeeding workshops with Dr. Jack Newman, and that was something she learned from him. It worked like a charm- my excruciating nipple pain was gone within a day. After a few weeks, I didn't have to press her back into me, as she was strong enough to maintain a deep latch. Anyway, I hope you give it a try-it totally helped for me!

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyHaysMama View Post
Has anyone had trouble with an infant who has (had) a shallow latch? I'm trying to get him to open his mouth without much success. He just gets incredibly annoyed with the whole situation and starts crying. I didn't have this problem with my first born and within the past week I've been starting to get some really intense nipple pain. Maybe I should get some help from a lactation consultant...
That is a pretty common issue. Just tickle their bottom lip with your nipple. This stimulates a reflex that makes the baby open their mouth.

When they open their mouth *shove* your breast in their mouth.

It is important not to wait for the baby to latch on, they will inevitably latch shallow.

You should try and contact LLL about a group in your area, they will really help a lot.
Seeing a LC is also an option

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Two different lactation consultants explained to me the hamburger hold to get as much of my breast into DD's mouth as possible, because her latch was real shallow too. The main idea is the same as if you were trying to eat a really large burger: you'd start by grabbing the hamburger with one or both hands, put it on your bottom lip, and then try to hook your top lip onto the top of the burger (in a sort of C shape). That's the movement you want to reproduce when you try to get as much of your breast as possible into baby's mouth...not straight in, but in a C shaped movement. Also, depending on what position you're nursing baby in (craddle or football), you'd grab your breast in a different way. If baby's mouth is sideways to your breast, then you'd place your fingers on the left and right side of your areola, whereas if baby's mouth is horizontal to your breast, you'd place your fingers on the top and bottom of your areola.

If I'm confusing the heck out of you, check out this site:
http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVFebMar04p3.html
There are some illustrations that might help.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your replies. I'm going to find out when the next LLL meeting in my area is. I've never been to one but I'm obviously in need of some help! Hopefully this issue can be solved fairly quickly and easily. I don't want the nursing relationship I have with my LO to be an unpleasant experience since nursing his brother was (is) so wonderful.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just found out that the LLL group that meets in my area meets at a church that I can see from my back yard! It's like a 2 minute walk. Very valuable since I don't drive. No trekking a toddler and a newborn from bus to bus all over the city!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.