Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so happy that I found some great new toys that I just had to share. I sold some baby toys on craigslist and went to the toy store and this time asked the owner for some help finding great toys for 27 mos dd. She recommended these two and dd loves them, plays with them endlessly. I just had to share.

http://www.wedgits.com/
We got the starter set. Made for ages 3 and up but pieces are too big to swallow. Great fun! Interchangeable with bigger sets later on.

http://www.plantoys.com/products.asp?parentID=19#

We go the cone sorting toy which is also great fun.

I am an elementary school teacher and love toys that are open ended like these. I am stoked that dd agrees!

Anybody else have toddler toys that they would like to share!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Jordan's favorite toys right now are Mommy's shirts and shoes. She is into playing dress-up in a BIG way, so I try to make as many items (that I don't need for work) available for her.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Water, water, and more water. Pouring. Endless fun with water.
Ds is into following me around the house and doing whatever I'm doing. Favorite toys include any vessle that holds water, the broom, duster-swiffer things, and a set of plastic bowls/cups/silverware. Who needs toy stores??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just had to jump in on this one! We ordered some of the Haba play food on-line, and they are sooo cute, I think that I like them more than my son. We ordered a little tin that has wooden pineapple rings in it, a tin with wooden tea bags, a tin of wooden fish in tomato sauce (really just a piece of red tissue paper), and a tin of wooden slices of toast! what's really cool is the tins are decorated and labeled in German! You all should check them out, however some of the pieces may be too small for little ones.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
My 20mo DS plays with things around the house more than toys, so I really have to watch him like a hawk. He really loves mimicking things that we do. His current fixation is with keys. He loves picking up a stick and pretending it's a key and sticking it into things and pretending to start them up.

I was going to buy some play food today, since DS likes it at the YMCA nursery, but when I got to the educational toy store near us it all said it was for 3 and above or 5 and above. I am always torn by age warnings. With some toys (big square wooden blocks for example) I ignored the age label that said 2 and above. I just checked the haba food. It says 3 and above too.
: It is appealing though--I would like to play with it!

I did get a little hand puppet that is 3 mice in a box. This may be a little young for older kids, but DS loves it!

I am thinking about getting some of those big cardboard bricks. Or maybe I'll make some. I just came across this description online for how to do it with milk cartons:
http://parents.berkeley.edu/recommen...uy/bricks.html

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Ronan and I both love the Haba food, and he's not even two yet. If your kid is a big mouth-er it might be a problem, but he's never even tried to eat it. It really is beautiful and holds up so well. Taking the lids off and pouring it into pots takes a lot of concentration. And pineapple-mushroom-greenbean-pretzel stick stew is delicious!

He's also totally obsessed with this:
http://www.thisoldtoy.com/L_FP_Set/F...2-183-2360.jpg
I got him the old FP Little People airplane (the same one my brothers and I had!) with people, luggage and fuel/baggage carts from ebay, and he plays with it constantly. We've flown a few times that he can remember, so maybe that's why he's so into planes. I'm considering hunting down the old airport as well. I like this toy because we're already doing imaginative play with it. Very basic at this age, but I can see it evolving.

As much as I try, he's not that into books. But balls, wooden trains and small vehicles of any kind -- yes! We do use his playsilks frequently, too.

-Erin

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Does anyone know of a wooden tea set (with creamer & sugar bowls) that isn't "girly?" I'm about to just go with the Melissa & Doug one that's purple with flowers...

Oh I forgot my ds's favorite -- little board books that are in carrying cases. He has one that is made to look like a fridge -- then you open it & the books are: breakfast, lunch, dinner, fruits, vegetables, & snacks. He has lots of sets of these books... colors & shapes, curious george, beatrix potter, pooh...I just got him a Bible stories set today.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
ALL OF THEM.

Okay. of the purpose-built toys, his favorites are the wooden blocks, the Legos, and the other building sets he has had access to at other children's houses. He likes his stuffed cow, his camel, his sheep. He likes dollies, especially if there is a doll stroller (at other's houses or playgroup, we don't have a doll stroller) or a sling to give a ride. He likes cars of any size, trains. Crayons and paper. Electronic toys that beep or make music are a special treat because we don't have them at home.

Of the household objects: keys, dead electronic gadgets (or live ones, like the stereo and my phone!) anything that beeps or lights up. Light switches. The sink and water play, yeah baby! Pots and pans. Plastic containers with lids. Postcards that come in magazines (oooh, so special to him! :LOL) Books--to read, to look at, or to rearrange! The broom and dustpan! The straps on his high chair or the grocery cart--fun to click shut! His shoe laces or the straps of his sandals!

Basically, my son likes to play. He likes almost any toy--it's like he appreciates that someone came up with something on purpose for him to play with--but he also will play with anything else handy. It is one of my many favorite things about him!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Dd's favorite toys right now are her wooden finger puppets. I got them on sale at Nova Natural Toys. She loves to put them on everyones fingers, and she loves to set them all up and then stomp all over them and knock them all over. :LOL

http://www.novanatural.com/product.p...r=2872&sec=243

http://www.novanatural.com/product.p...r=2879&sec=243

http://www.novanatural.com/product.p...r=2883&sec=243

They are adorable and even cheaper than the price listed. Once you get the sale items in your cart, they have a cheaper price!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cinnamonamon
Oh I forgot my ds's favorite -- little board books that are in carrying cases. He has one that is made to look like a fridge -- then you open it & the books are: breakfast, lunch, dinner, fruits, vegetables, & snacks.
These sound really fun! Where did you get them? Is there a title/brand name?

Kristen

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My 14 month old LOVES her Melissa and Doug fridge magnets of animals (Ross-5.99) And anyhting she can push around. She currently like the laundry basket! She'll put her magnets in it and give them rides. She also loves her Noah's Ark shape sorter (again by M & D-wooden)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Her elmo doll. I pleaded, I begged her not to get hooked but she did after seeing Sesame street only once. We got her the doll and now it's her best friend. My elmo voice impersonation is spot on so I think that may have been a factor. She also loves books but she wants to turn the pages faster than I can read them so I just make up stories as she blasts throught the books.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Plastic eggs (the kind you get in Easter baskets). They're oversized, with vents in each half, to prevent choking. Anyway, I put them all together and he loves to take them apart. He's also working on putting the right halves together, but sometimes he gets frustrated and throws them.
:

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moya
Her elmo doll. I pleaded, I begged her not to get hooked but she did after seeing Sesame street only once. We got her the doll and now it's her best friend. My elmo voice impersonation is spot on so I think that may have been a factor. She also loves books but she wants to turn the pages faster than I can read them so I just make up stories as she blasts throught the books.
OT: If you are trying to limit TV, but you decide to let her watch Elmo sometimes, it comes on at 45 minutes after the hour, then the show is over. So you can just wait til then to turn it on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts