Mothering Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I'm wondering who here gives shared gifts to their kids.  We've never done it before, but this year wanted to get the kids a bigger ticket item and the only way it was going to happen was if it was a shared gift.  They have both developed a Playmobil obsession, so (along with a few smaller sets each), we've gotten them the big farm set to share.  They tend to fight over toys, so I'm a bit worried.  But usually it's more a case of "that's MY whatever!".  I'm hoping if it's given to both of them, and since it's understood from the get-go that it's a toy that they're both "allowed" to play with, that it won't be an issue.  It's certainly big enough, and with enough figures and animals, that they could easily play with it at the same time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The other thing I got them to share was a HUGE set of stamps (found at the used toy store)... like 100 stamps or something... and some ink pads to go with.  I'm hoping that the sheer number of stamps available to use will mean that they don't need to fight over them.  (wishful thinking?)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyone BTDT?  Thoughts?</p>

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
<p>We are buying our 5 and 10 year old a giant box of Lego this Christmas.  They play and share all the Lego (except for specific ones that they each claimed as their own that live in their own Lego boxes) and don't really fight over them.  But they are older than your kids.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think it's a good idea to get shared gifts on big expensive stuff like Wii, Playmobil, Lego...that way everyone uses it with no issue of mine!!</p>

·
Registered
559 Posts
<p>We are getting them a shared set of wooden building blocks.  I'm hoping (as the op said) that b/c it is a joint gift and belongs to them both it won't cause problems in the sharing dept.  I'm not holding my breath on that one though.</p>

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
<p>Last year we bought a Wii for the kids for Christmas.  It was their only gift, and it was a gift for all 4 children to share.  They loved it, and sharing hasn't been too much of an issue.</p>

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Our shared gifts this year include a Wii and a tetherball set. Both can be used by all four kids, and they are communal - so I don't think I'll have too much of the possessive issues.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
<p>i see things like Wii and a tether ball differently then a Lego/playmobil *set*. The first are interactive and the majority of the Wii games are meant for 2 or more so easier to share. Tether ball is not a lot of fun alone so easy to share.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>However a playmobil set still has the "my" factor. ie: pirate ship is going to be hard to share once built. same with most Lego sets. If yor kids already argue over most toys this could still be hard for them. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>A big box of assorted Lego pieces is different.  Completely open ended with one caveat.  My son and his friends argue over the unique ones like the small flat squares for building on, the gold and clear bricks etc but my feeling is oh well, figure it out.BUt I only have deal with it at playdates, LOL</p>

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<p>HollyBearsMom - The playmobil set that we got is the "big farm" so it's a big barn, accessible on a couple of different sides with lots of animals and people and tools, etc.  We also got a few extra animal sets to go with it.  I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that it will be "shareable", more so than a pirate ship, etc, but you're right - it might be hard for them.  Anyway, it's a done deal now.  We shall see how it all works out...</p>

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
<p>It seems to me the stamps and the Playmobile set w/b good shared gifts that c/b played with together.</p>
<p>We've always given shared gifts - for Christmas and birthdays since they are twins.  Normally for Christmas they get one gift of their own and one shared gift.  Over the years the shared gifts have been: train set, play kitchen, Lego's, marble run, board game, art supplies, etc. </p>

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
<p> </p>
<p>Traditionally, there is always one gift for the entire family to enjoy, along with all of the individual gift-giving that happens between family members. Some years, it is fairly small eg. a board game or DVD. Some years, it may be quite big, e.g. Wii system and a couple of games.  It always means that there is a family group activity going on after Christmas. It's worked out really well for us. </p>

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
<p>We have given a shared xmas gift to our boys (now 5 and almost 8) for the past couple of years now.  We got them a playmobil castle two years ago, a wii last year and this year they are getting a tent.  They have done fine with shared gifts and also get their own indvidual gifts. </p>

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
<p>My kids are getting shared magnatiles for Christmas (3 and almost 5).  They do sqabble sometimes, but I guess I consider them learning to share with one another and get along as something good.  When there are problems they are learning opportunities, and it is great that I get the chance to help teach them how to treat one another (and others).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Now on a bad day I don't feel all rosy and sunny about it, but I really try to keep that perspective.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Tjej</p>

·
Registered
922 Posts
<p>Mine are getting a set of 100 magnatiles to share.  They are 3.5 and 5 years old.  They do fine sharing for the most part, and I don't anticipate a problem.  They will be so excited because they have wanted these for a while.</p>

·
Registered
27 Posts
<p>IT sounds like the things you are getting are very sharable.  I have a bunch of really young kids and sharing is sometimes hard.  This year we got a Wii and some Lego for them.  On top of that we bought each kid their own small gift so they still feel like they had something that is "mine."  Good Luck.  I think it's important to have items that are easier to share - imo Playmobil would fall under that category.</p>

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
<p>We have always done "my" gifts and "shared" gifts. So DS, 6yo, and DD, 4yo, are used to it. And sometimes something bought for DS gets used more by DD, or vice-verse.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I let them deal with the squabbles among themselves, which are luckily few and far between. JIC, what tends to work is "take turns. DS can have it 15 minutes, then DD can have it. In the meantime, DD you can play with X Y or Z." More tough, but also works is "if you are going to argue about it, then I am taking X and neither of you will play with it." Then they usually come up with a plan on their own, and unless it is very unfair, I stay out of it and let them learn negotiating skills on their own. </p>

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
<p>We do a lot of shared gifts.  They tend to always want to play with whatever the other one has, and I don't like buying two just to avoid fights, so shared gifts it is.  They have never seemed to mind.</p>

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
<p>We do. A perennial favorite is a zoo membership from the grandparents.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This year there is a tool box/woodworking kit to be shared.  Last year they got a movie and a story on CD to share. </p>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts