Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share what a wonderful homebirth experience we had. I have had 2 c/s and at 28 weeks prego with #3 my OB terminated my care for non-compliance reasons (nothing specific). I then decided this time I had had enough and I wasn't going to find another doctor, I was going to find a midwife.

I found a midwife, I educated myself, and waited for the big day. It came 3/22 and I birthed a beautiful healthy baby girl after 16 hours of labor including 2 hours of pushing. She was 9lbs. 1oz. and 20 in long.

My experience was empowering. I still can't believe I did it. It was perfect. It was classic. I labored at home in and out of the birth pool. My friend was by my side to aid in relaxation and helping out with household stuff, my husband came home from work and stayed out of the way until the pushing stage (I wanted it this way), and my midwife and her apprentice were monitoring my labor and baby's heart rate staying at a close but unintrusive distance.

I will continue to have my babies at home from now on. I can birth a baby! I have joined two groups VBAC mamas and homebirth mamas.

Thanks for reading. I am on bed rest to heal an internal tear that I declined to have stitches for. I laughed so hard today, I think I have just gone backwards on healing that tear. So, mothering.com is keeping me company for the remainder of the time I need to remain in bed.

· Registered
2,451 Posts
That is so wonderful! I am in MD and also would like to have a HBA2C. (Not even ttc yet!) I know it is hard to find someone to assist the birth. I'm close to VA did you use a practice or a single midwife? Anyone close to MD?

You are awesome! So glad to hear this great news. Congrats on the new babe.

· Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can read more about this journey of mine in the Finding Your Tribes, Virginia, titled OB terminated me -- ie no OB.

I was not able to find a group of cnm to take me on b/c of my prior c/s. I used a direct entry midwife and I know I would not have been as happy with CNM in a hospital.
Home is the place for me, I knew it when I was pregnant with my first, but dh said hospital first then home if it works out okay. It didn't, so #2 was a c/s too at a hospital. Never again!!! (baring in mind the rare necessity of a c/s)

We live and learn and grow. I hope my next birth is as empowering and wonderful.

· Registered
1,236 Posts
Congratulations....how exciting for you and your little one. Dh and I had said we'd homebirth #2, but ended up w/ a c/s for #1 so now we're in a bind.
Did you post your story on ICAN's list? Many moms would be encouraged.
Congratulations again. You did it!

· Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MommyDOK
Congratulations....Did you post your story on ICAN's list?
Yes, indeed, ICAN is a great place to be. In fact, I liked it so much, I became a chapter leader - the only one in Canada for several years!

Thank you for the congratulations.

· Registered
1,410 Posts
That is so wonderful!!! I am planning a HBAC for this baby due in June. I love reading about successful vbacs! CONGRATULATIONS MAMA!!!! Rest up though, your 3 babies need a healthy mama!

· Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am working on writing my birth story to post in a few locations, VAMOMS and ICAN are on my list. Given what lead me to HBAC, I am thinking about submitting something to Mothering Mag as well.
I am waiting to get the write up on the birth happenings from my midwife to fill in the gaps.
It was such a great experience. Just knowing that my body can do what it was made to do is awesome. But best of all was an unmedicated, unmessed with baby in my arms immediately at birth and breastfeeding shortly there after. My husband thinks not having anyone disturbing us after the birth was the best part. I think he is a convert now!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.