Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I started knitting again after a 9 year hiatus, I have been enjoying it so much that I have been showing everyone around me yarn and talking about knitting, etc. I taught my boss to knit. Tonight, one of my coworkers brought her college age daughter to my house so I could teach her how to knit. Another of my coworkers has asked me to teach her how to knit. I am finding it just as addictive to teach as it is to actually knit something myself!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Good for you! Everyone always asks me to teach them, but I don't have the patience. I always smile and say "Sure!" and in my head I'm thinking, "Yeah right! Let them steal my precious knitting time?"
:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest, it is probably a little bit of a stretch to say I've taught them to knit. Neither of the people I have taught so far had ever knit anything in their entire lives. I taught them how to knit a specific project. In both cases it was scarves that they loved when they saw the ones I made. So I taught them how to cast on the project, do a knit stitch, do the appropriate increase for that project, and bind off. So it is pretty basic and very concrete -- neither of them know how to purl! The total instruction time was probably less than an hour each.

But, both of them are sooooooooooooooo excited with what they have learned, so I'm sure at some point they will be ready to learn more! It is just so neat to watch someone else get so excited and addicted to knitting.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If a friend asked me to teach them to knit (or do any craft), I would. But when people online ask me, I forward them to the many excellent websites that already do it better than I could. My online time is better served by putting up patterns and tutorials specific to those patterns rather than showing folks the basics.

I've done basic flower beading "classes" for my friends before, but too many of them see what I do and assume that they can get it perfect the first time out, so they get frustrated no matter how many times I say that my first ones were crappy too.

I've long had a fantasy business where it's a Tupperware-style thing but with crafts, where I could go to craft parties and show people how to do stuff and then if they like it, sell them good quality equipment/supplies. But I'm far too lazy to establish such a company myself, and I don't know of one doing so. The profit margins are probably too small for it to be lucrative.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.