Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of this helping milk production? How much do you take? Is the outcome signifigant? I am starting to slow down on milk just when i need more so I can pump for work. I only work weekends but I also have alot of stuff during the week that I have to leave my kids for a couple hours. Man! Why can't husbands breastfeed? LOL! I really need something to help. Is this the best thing to take?

Thanks ~ Jenn

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
I would be really scared about the mercury content of pure fat from a fish like a shark. Shark are long-lived fatty fish that are highest in mercury and have been on FDA's "do not eat" list for pregnant and nursing women since the list was started. It's a pretty darn conservative list so IMO if a fish is so bad to make it on this list, no way I'm eating it at all!

·
Registered
8,530 Posts

Sorry, I posted and didn't even answer your core question about low supply. Check out this Kellymom link:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

Here's what worked for me when I had to ramp up my supply for a very hungry and jaundiced BIG baby

- Fenugreek* capsules (3 capsules 3x/day)
- Blessed Thistle* capsules (3 capsules 3x/day)
(available in health food stores)
- All the oatmeal you can eat
- Keep fluids up (but not gallons)

Another note (also discussed in Kellymom), are you pumping enough? I know it's hard when you return to work but you should be pumping both breasts **at least** every 3-4 hrs. when away from the baby and on demand (i.e., frequently and not on a schedule) when with the baby.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts