Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i've debated posting about this for awhile cus it's.... kooky

I don't know if this is the right place to post...

DD can read my thoughts, a lot. For many months. It's taken me awhile to really truly accept and beleive that she is doing this, but she is.

Some specific examples that have happened recently-

I remembered i had some chocolate milk in the fridge, which she didn't know we had, she had only tried it once before. She interrupts my thoughts to say "I want chocky milk too!"

I was nursing her and thinking about TTC again soon and wondering if i would be able to nurse her through pregnancy, thinking about how i sometimes feel icky nursing when i have PMS. She lets go of my nipple and absolutely concerned asks me "mommy doesn't like having nums?!"

Lying in bed both of us going to sleep, i was thinking i'll take her to the park the following day, the park across from her grandparent's house. She interrupts my thoughts to say "Papa come to the park with me too, and uncle Jaybo (jacob)."

So, i mean these are just a couple examples, but really this happens a few times a week... and *maybe* more at certain times in the month? (hormones? the moon?) I could sit and list like 100 things she's said. it's just uncanny.

Now, it can be a problem.... a friend of mine had a termination last week and she has leaned heavily on me for support. I was absent minded reflecting on the situation and DD came up to me, upset
and confused and asked me "you have a tiny baby in your belly mama??" and then "where is Hailey?" ... the friends daughter. She was genuinely distraught about it.

And another... (TMI) today... i'm looking forward to DH having some time off and was thinking about *ahem* what we did last night
iykwim
and she happily announced "You don't have a pedis (penis) Daddy has a pedis!"
ugh. how mortifying.

So.... anyone else have this? I don't know how to censor my thoughts... i don't know how much she is listening to, she acts like i'm just talking out loud.

Yesterday, in front of my parents and siblings, i asked DD to listen to what i'm thinking and tell them what colour, then i looked at a book of construction paper (she couldn't see) and she got them all right, without hesitation.

What does this mean? What should i do? I'm hoping other mamas have experience with this and advice or resources for me. Cus this is becoming a really regular thing around here and i want to understand it better.

FWIW i have always had a tendency to think the same thing as others... i mean i've often questioned if i'm 'projecting' my thoughts to someone else, especially my mom and DH... ok i know that is weird
: and i've shared dreams with my DH a few times. Other weird stuff too.... but i've always brushed it off....

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wow, what an amazing gift and challenge for your daughter and your family. First of all, I would stop asking her to "perform" and prove her skills. Second, I would research child pyschologists who could help her and you figure out how to best support her. All the information she is able to get from people is going to be hard for her to process and understand and she's going to need some help to deal with it all.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wholebreath View Post
Wow, what an amazing gift and challenge for your daughter and your family. First of all, I would stop asking her to "perform" and prove her skills.

Thanks for replying. Yesterday was the first time she ever "performed"... I think i kind of needed to show them cus it's hard for me to really accept she's doing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wholebreath View Post
Second, I would research child pyschologists who could help her and you figure out how to best support her. All the information she is able to get from people is going to be hard for her to process and understand and she's going to need some help to deal with it all.
this is the thing, i'm wondering how much she is picking up, and feeling like i need to censor my thoughts to protect her.
I don't have any reason to believe she reads other people's minds... idk.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Does she "read" anybody else's thoughts, or just yours?

Verrry interesting.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Wow, that is something! I've never known anyone with a gift like that, but it's probably a good thing that you're aware of it early on. Hopefully someone else with experience can chime in with some advice for you. I would imagine that it would be hard for her to process a lot of what she is picking up... I would have no idea where to even begin helping her if she were my DD though. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sounds to me like you have an Indigo child. Blocking isn't difficult, but it take practice and a good teacher. The problem is that it's harder to block your own child. If you are a co-sleeper it's really interesting. My son and I used to share dreams. He and I would wake up and discuss the dream we had just had. There may be a new age shop in you area that can help you.

·
Registered
377 Posts
my DD is like this too, only she's not verbal yet. I'll think about cooking something and she'll get down off my lap and go to the kitchen and wait for me. I'll be remembering something funny and she'll look me straight in the eye and laugh. I often think she's reading my mind.

I, actually, don't think this is too strange. I've had experiences like this when I was a child. Children are much more aware of all the things that are happening around them. Some have more talents in certain areas. I've seen children do some pretty phenomenal, inexplicable things.

I'd try talking to her about it. Kids are amazingly open to communicating. Remain open to her. Don't tell her that she's lying, or put down anything that she says. Ask her if she tries to do it, or if it just comes naturally. Ask her if she likes doing it. ask her if she can do it with other people. Find out if it scares her or confuses her or if she finds it interesting. Then you'll know more about how to support her.

Remember as well that you two are mother and child. You are made of the same flesh. You are, essentially, the same person. There is a special bond between mother and child.

Certainly, if she is openly reading your mind, then you two are going to have a very different relationship.

One way that you could cope with it (instead of feeling crazy trying to censor your mind) is to meditate. this will help calm your mind so that she will be picking up on a more stable mental state. Also, don't try to censor your thoughts. Children are going to pick up on things even if we protect them from it. If she asks you about a difficult subject, just try to work with her honestly. It may be challenging, but look at it as an amazing opportunity to create a really deep and compassionate relationship between the two of you.

One way you could help her cope, if she is having troubles dealing with it, is to see if you can find, or create, an "off" swtich.

And you can also feel very privileged that you have such a talented child.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Like Mama Meme said, I don't think it's weird. Mother and child are one flesh. For instance, my mom can tell if I'm lying, if I'm hiding something, if something is bothering me, etc. My daughter has surprised me many times with things just like you describe- I'm thinking about maybe going to the park, she unlatches from nursing to say she's gonna bring her shovel for the sandbox. I'm worried about my mom, she goes to the phone and says call grandma? Even during pregnancy. Like, I first felt her kick at my 13th week midwife appointment, the midwife felt it too, everybody knows an 11week old embryo doesn't kick, right? And once I impressed the heck out of my husband, when I discovered she would respond to me ALMOST touching my hugely pregnant belly. I waved my hand over my tummy and the little flutters followed, like fish who expect to be fed?
What you should do, I don't know. I somehow think, it is OK. Like, your thoughts aren't going to harm her, I don't think.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Definitely read up telepathy/empathy, and here's a thread from MDC on Indigo children that's very long, and somewhat diverse (ranging from ghosts to reading thoughts) that might help you realize you (and your daughter) are definitely not alone: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ndigo+children

It can be a very challenging path that your daughter's on, so the more you learn now, the better you'll be able to help her learn how to accept and control her talent.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I think that's fantastic! A couple of my children are like that, and from what I understand I was like that as well as a child-which caused lots of 'freaking out' from my family. I learned to hide it, and it sort of morphed into other, a little more hidden, gifts. I think it is beautiful that you are so accepting!

I would say that the biggest issue would be empathy-getting all that input from others and learning how to navigate it. She's like a sponge and in time it would be good for her to learn how to block when she wants to so that she isn't bombarded.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
I also don't think it's wierd. DD has done things like this quite a bit, but nothing so clear as saying what I'm looking at, in front of others. I think it's something a lot of children start off with, and some just stay open to it longer/more fully (and some societal/parenting/schooling stuff can help close it down, too).

I have no great advice, but I agree with the PPs, there are good resources mentioned.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nak

wow thanks for all the responses.
i do think it's natural, but i wasn't sure how common. looks like it is fairly common though! how neat.

i've heard of crystal children stuff before but i guess i didn't believe it.... same reason i didn't think to go to a new age type shop for info.
kind of funny really lol.

going to read the indigo children thread now..... thank-you

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
How neat! The one thing I wanted to add that hasn't already been mentioned is, if you bring it up to her at all, be sure not to make a big deal about it...many children are born with gifts like this, natural talents, that they in time start to kind of "smother" and push aways because they don't think it's natural, which usually leads to the abilities going away completely, at least until they decide at a later time to try them again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts