Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, we ended up going out to dinner with Goo. Well, dinner with a large crowd and a 13 month old is not the best condition. So DH and I took turns taking her outside so she could run off some energy. For DH, she went down the stairs to a basement restaurant. When she got to the bottom, she tried to shut the door which was held open by a rather large rock.<br>
Dh tells her "Goo, you can't shut this door" To which one of the people inside started to complain "How can you tell her she can't shut the door? She can shut it if she wants to!"<br>
Dh yelled back "There's a 20 lb rock here. She is physically unable to close the door, so I mean it when I say she can't close the door"<br><br>
Grrr. I was so annoyed by this! Dh was telling her the truth. He wasn't stopping her. Why do people need to jump in?<br><br>
Oh well, minor vent

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Ummm, yeah, that was pretty out of line to say. Even if it hadn't been an issue of physical impossibility, what if he didn't want her closing the door and then being locked out or possibly getting out of his sight. They had no way of knowing why he didn't want her to close that door, so they should keep their trap shut.<br><br>
That said, at least it wasn't a mean thing. I like that at least the obnoxious intrusive stranger had an empowering comment to make, unlike the ones I usually hear!

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
It always amazes me when I hear these stories about how much balls some people have when it comes to making judgemental statements about other peoples' parenting!<br><br>
I agree, there's a big difference between explaining a physical impossibility and making assumptions about a child's ability.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Gonna be the opposing voice here! I have noticed, a great deal, that sometimes when we are 'out' as a family (whether this be at a neighboors house or where ever) that Dh or myself will tell our children not to do certain things thinking that the owners do not wish for the children to do those things. I know that this was not the case in the above mentioned OP, but maybe that is what the people in the resturaunt thought...that the dad was telling the little girl no because it might upset the people in the resturaunt and they were letting him know that it was ok if she wanted to and didn't mean any harm by it. JMO! Please don't flame me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts