Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I am way too emotional about this and am trying to sort out exactly why this is bothering me so much, but my Violet cut off most of her beautiful, golden locks today. This kid has (had) the most beautiful hair in the world: springy curls that you just couldn't believe were natural:

Before

After

What's worse is that the sides are less than 1/2 an inch and she has a mullet.

I KNEW she was being too quiet in her room!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dh is being very level-headed, thank god. "It'll grow back. Think of how much easier it will be to take care of..."

I just want those curls back!

Jesse

· Registered
4,581 Posts
aww. she is still a total cutie, though.

My dd is also curly headed, and sometimes I contemplate cutting her hair to avoid the pain of brushing it out. But I,love her curls! I suspect it can be hard to let go of an attachment to her lovely hair. Maybe it is a little lesson for later when she starts making more and more of her own choices about how she looks and represents herself to the world.

Your dh is right, but it's also ok for you to be sad although probably try to hide that sadness from dd , or at least don't be mad at her...)

sorry momma!

· Registered
2,884 Posts
oh, i always notice her beautiful hair!! the pic doesn't look too bad though. IKWYM about her being too quiet... there have been times when i am online or something & think
, joe is being SO quiet & good today... then i'm like:
:

it is never good!

like your husband said, at least it'll grow back... but those curls!

· Registered
3,464 Posts
Oh my. You have my utter sympathy. This happened to me when DD1 was about 3 1/2, and I was shocked at my reaction! I called my sister who lives 3 hours away to come and "fix it"--and I couldn't believe that she wouldn't!
:

Also, and I take no pride in this,
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
I told her she looked stupid
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

It will grow back, and it will make a great story in about 6 months or so.....

She really is lovely, before and after the haircut!

· Registered
1,820 Posts
She is still beautiful.

Most kids do this, ONCE. And then they realize, hmm, takes a while to grow back....

My friend was 4 when she cut her bangs off. She decided she didn't want bangs anymore and cut them off. Oh well, hasn't scarred her yet!

· Registered
4,276 Posts
my little brother shaved two bald spots on the front of his head/hair(?) like 2 days before his first day at school. :LOL of course we all laughed but we ended up having his head shaved but u could still see 2 'islands' where he'd shaved it down to his scalp

· Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just brushed through it and big curly clumps came out. It is worse than I thought. We are on our way to the salon. I am just.....so sad.

Jesse

PS Dh said, "There are worse things she could have cut off."

· Registered
7,395 Posts
My sympathies. As others have said, on the bright side, it will grow back.

When she was 4, my dd hacked off one side of her long, beautiful, glossy black hair to about 3" long. (Your dd's hair looks much better in the after picture.) She learned a valuable lesson about playing with forbidden objects like scissors, and she wasn't happy when we had to get it evened out. She also learned that just because Mulan does something in a video doesn't mean she should do it.

· Registered
1,145 Posts

I did it too when I was three. I cut off all my bangs the night before our family portrait...my mom was pissed...especially since her MIL was "watching" me. Now I look at the pictures and just laugh...:LOL

Librarymom~
, I have said dumb things in the 'heat of the moment'...I know how you feel.

· Registered
1,184 Posts
I totally feel for you.

Dd has very similar hair and I would be heartbroken (and I would question why I was heartbroken) if she cut her hair.

I wonder if it has to do with how much people comment on it. If you are like us, we can't go anywhere with at least 3 people asking if is natural (yeah, I perm a 3 yo's hair
) or how beautiful it is. Maybe she felt the need to shed herself of that?

Probably b/c you get so many comments, it is more important to tell her how beautiful she still is and that hair is just hair. I might stress on the safety aspect, though. I would freak if dd was wielding scissors by her face!

Hugs mama, it is a great summer haircut!

· Registered
539 Posts
Oh Jesse! It is NOT as bad as you made it sound on the phone! I had a MUCH worse mental picture.

I bet she is going to look so cute once it looks more purposeful! She is such a saucy little thing, I bet she will be ADORABLE with a pixie cut.

I cant wait to see the after after picture! Give that girl a hug and kiss for me! and yourself too. I am sorry you are sad. It will be funny soon!

· Premium Member
11,611 Posts
I'm sorry! She does look really cute with short hair, too- and it'll be a lot easier to comb!

(Our dd has those curls, too- and I cut it off short a few times and it's grown back- have gotten compliments on her short curls as well as the long
)

· Registered
2,662 Posts
I know how you feel.

My 5yo ds cut off his 3yo sister's long golden curls the other day. I was shocked and sad but she was thrilled and proud of her new "do". it's actually quite stylish - choppy and uneven but really cute like that.

Your daughter is adorable - no matter how her hair looks. It's ok to feel sad about it though.

· Premium Member
42,430 Posts
My then 3yo did it last year the day we were flying to Ireland to meet all the relatives, most for the first time, and 5 weeks before she was a flower girl in my sister's wedding. It was awful, I cried! Luckily it was long enough to pin back, but barely. I told everyone, just in case they thought I liked it like that!

Then last week she was sitting with her 3yo sister and 6 yo brother, and let her sis cut another chunk out. I got them before too much damage was done though. The 6yo got in the most trouble - he knows better.

Post a pic of the styled 'do'.

· Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The first before picture really doesn't do it justice. Here are some more! We just got back from the salon and the hairdresser kept saying, "Oh my. She sure did do a job on her hair!" I cried when it was finished--the hairdresser wanted to do what she called a "short shag" but it was still a mullet, so I had her just chop off the entire length in back. It's funny, I had V's new hairstyle in the 80's when I was about 10. It looks better than before, but the sides are so mangled that I don't think anything will really help.

More before

Stinker

80's Hairstyle

I hugged her and told her I loved her new haircut (between tears) and she seems to be fine.

A lot of this is because V's identity is so wrapped up in her hair--another poster hit it on the head--we get comments wherever we go and I guess I've been used to her being different and this is a good lesson in not getting too attached to something like hair. I can't really articulate it, but I realize how silly it is. She is the same wonderful kid. Part of me really worries that now that she doesn't have her hair that kids will make fun of her because of her hearing aids.

Jesse

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.