Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

DD WILL NOT stop scratching herself. I know she has excema bad. We elimatated the things she came back allergic to on the blood test in her diet, and got rid of the cat. This weekend she was almost entirely BF (ANd I modified my diet for her).
But Saturday night, last night, and both days she has been ripping at her skin worse than normal. It takes 2 of us to change her diaper because one has to hold down her hands so she won't cause herself to bleed.

Last night she kept waking me up because she was clawing at her arms in her sleep (arms and ankles are a favorite spot). The more she itched, the worse it got. I finally put gloves on her and fastened them with diaper pins at about 5 am. And I put anti itch cream on the spots.
The soonest we can get into the allergist is Dec 6th.

We have tried everything, it is making me sick to my stomach. My mother says I was the same way as a child. We have done only 1 or 2 baths a week, tried diffrent creams. We are to the point where aquifer is the only thing that sooths it aside from the cortazone. So we put that on 3 times a day to keep it at bay.
I am just so frustrated.
:

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Are you using scented laundry detergent or fabric softener? Air fresheners? Lotions (other than the Aquiphor you already mentioned) Is she (or are you) eating any food more often than usual, even if it's not one she tested positive to? Are all of her clothes 100% natural fibers, no polyester? Any of these things could cause eczema.

Switch to a Free detergent, like All Free and Clear, or a natural unscented one (I have found the lavender scented natural detergents to be ok, but not everyone has this experience.) Ditch the fabric softener completely. Instead, use less detergent (half of the recommended amount or less, less for soft water), and put vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser (about 1/4 cup per load.) If all of your clothes are cotton, you shouldn't have much of a problem w/ static. For bath soap, switch to an unscented soap, preferably homemade olive oil based, or Kiss my face olive oil soap http://www.kissmyface.com/Product/Ki...aps/0100801EA/ If not, Dove sensitive skin is the only commercial soap that's ok for sensitive skin (NOT unscented, which contains a masking fragrance.) http://www.dove.us/your_skin/sensitive_skin_bar.asp I would try to avoid even that if I could. You don't really need to wash her with soap anyway, unless she's really dirty. And this time of year, kids are covered up when they go outside, so they don't really ever get dirty. KWIM? A soak in the tub w/ clear water and no soaps is enough to keep kids clean in the winter. Just use soap to spot clean actually dirty spots, like bums.

For shampoo and lotion, we really like California Baby seriously sensitive shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. They aren't sold locally, so we either order it or stock up when we're at a Whole Foods.

When you give her a bath, use cool water--body temp, not hot. No bubble bath. Put the lotion on before she's completely dry. I would stop using the Aquaphor and any other commercial lotions. Instead, if you can't get California Baby lotion, use pure olive oil, coconut oil, or even shortening. And even if you do get the CA Baby stuff, use oil when needed. It works much better than those expensive lotions anyway, it's just messy. And best of all, it doesn't contain anything toxic.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I had another thought. If you got rid of the cats recently, it could still be them. Have you washed all of the bedding and blankets, etc, in the house? Swept all of the carpets thoroughly? Cleaned behind furniture and d ustedceverything? Washed the curtains, even? Stuffed animals and dolls? Cat dander could be hiding in nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We only use purex free and clear (we use for everything, even diapers. Intrestingly - that is the only spot she has no rash!). We have never used fabric softners.
We only wash her with Avenoo for sensative babies and we give her a quick bath in lukewarm water.
We are going to try an oatmeal bath tonight.
I sent hubby out for some cephacil (spelling?)

The cat left recently, but I did a MAJOR clean, washed everything. The drapes I didn't because I just made them a week ago. There is a cat at her daycare, but she hasn't been aruond it in days. That mostly gives her a stuffy nose (we are working on a solution to that too - trying not to have to get new daycare).

She normally only wears cotton, even cotton cable tights. She does have some jammies that are fleece, but she wasn't wearing them.

Even the daycare useses only scent free stuff because of her.

It seems like it got worse over the weekend! AFTER we got rid of the cat! We have a Dr. apt with the ped, they want to see if it has developed into an infection.

When we cut out the cheddar, the HUGE red welts disapeared, but the light rash - that looks almost like a flat culiflower? remained........

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just read somewhere that Purex has brightners, so I ordered some Allan's online. Hopefully we can strip the detergent out of the washer and see if the Allan's will help.......

·
Registered
215 Posts
in my experience, the itching occurs right after, or a couple of hours after, ingesting the offending food.

i cut out all the major allergens and still saw itching, until i realized that she was allergic even to NON-gluten grains.

yes, eczema takes a long time to clear up. and it takes a long time to flush the allergens out of your system once you've stopped eating them, BUT, for my dd, itching is a sign that there is still something there. i encourage you to keep looking.

what kinds of things you are feeding? did you know that you can be allergic to produce as well? my dd is sensitive to foods high in salicylates, like berries, coconut oil, pineapple, avocado..etc. there are too many to list.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last night we got into the ped's office. Normally we see another ped, but this one thought it was time for zyertec. They are a very holistic type of family practice, so I have faith in them that they would not recommend this unless it was very much needed. Like they normal refuse to give antibiotics unless dire need and are okay with non-vax.....

Anyway - they put DD on it only until we can meet with the allergiest on Dec 6th. So far it seems to help and has not made her drowsy so I am hoping it will work till we find out the cause (it was a pretty low dose). He also has me putting hydrocortazone on the areas that are the worst, to help her sleep and get it under control for 1 week.

DH gave her an oatmeal bath this morning and it appeared to help a great deal.

Anyway - the peds keep saying that her excema is far worst than most they see, so they are not experts and to wait to talk to the allergist. BLAH BLAH BLAH.....

I do know - that she slept well last night for the first time in WEEKS. (they pointed out to me that awaking her self scratching is depriving her of sleep and might be worsing it..causing her stress...intresting thought....)

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I'm glad it's helping her. My nephew is also on Zyrtec. When all else fails, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's impossible to avoid most environmental allergies, so Zyrtec is a lifesaver for people who have them bad (like my nephew who has a class 4-5 grass allergy.)

Don't forget to stop all meds 5 days (or more? call and check) before seeing the allergist.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.