Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dd is 10 months old. she has two bottom teeth and her second top tooth just came in. She bit me for the first time sometime last week. since then, she's been biting me not every time she nurses, but often enough that each time I offer the boob I cringe and brace myself.<br><br>
When she has bit me, I've said ouch loudly, put her down, and walked away. Or, when we've been somewhere where I can't walk away, I just put the boob away. (When i walk away, I come back in like 20 seconds). I'm trying to do the natural consequences thing, where she bites me, me and the boob leave the vicinity. (of cpourse, none of that applies at 2 am)<br><br>
Dunno that it's helping at all.<br><br>
In additon, sometimes when she's nursing, her teeth kind of rest on/graze my nipple, which gets sore pretty quickly.<br><br>
help!<br><br>
I am committed to nursing at least until she's a year old, but I wanted to go longer. But being bit is making me really tense and it's making me think about quitting.<br><br>
edited to add: she just (like, just now!!!) took six steps unassisted!!!!!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so I just dd a search on "biting" and found all the previous posts on this topic, which are very helpful.<br><br>
One thing is, dd bites at the beginning of nursing. Like, she either latches on, or bites. I am going to work on it.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I just wanted to tell you that I wouldnt yell loudly or anything scary. SOmetimes, babes can get so upset by it that they go on a nursing strike. This is advice from my LLL leader when my ds was biting me. SHe advised me to get him off the breast when he bit by pulling him close to me so that he had to unlatch to breathe. Then tell him very gently, yet firmly that he cant nurse if he bites. He was like 6 months old or so when he started doing it. Soon, he realized that he didnt get to nurse when he bit, and stopped.<br><br>
I've had to do the same thing recently with his acrobatic nursing. My nipples were getting twisted and turned from all of the antics. I couldnt take it anymore!! He realized that he had to calm down if mama was gonna nurse him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts