Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in toddlers also but thought it's probably my parenting that's lacked and should try here.<br><br>
She's Driving me CRAZY!<br>
DD will be 2 tomarrow and I'm about to give her away to the next person who asks for her. I don't know what to do with her nothing works!<br>
She always crying(for EVERYTHING) or always fighting. She fights her brother and her cousins over any little thing, she scratches, hits, even bites. And fo rthose who feel that children learn this behaviour I CAN NOT fathom where she would have learned from. DH and I do not physically fight and neither does her brother. But she's always passed licks since she started walking. She spent some time with her cousins(my brother's kids) earlier this year and they do fight(ALOT) but now they've mellowed out and she's a monster. I spend most of the day pulling her off one of them.<br><br>
She spends so much time crying I think that's the reason she doesn't talk. She cries when she wants something, whem she doesn't want something, when you ask her to do something. when she can't have her way. Basically if she's not crying she's fighting someone.<br>
I keep saying if only she could talk(she says some things but no sentances)than she woudn't cry so much(A wish actually)but in the mean time I'm just<br><br>
Help.I've tried to talk to her, time outs, cater to her, help, help, help!! Hell she's crying now!<br><br><br>

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I don't have any advice for you, but hopefully some words of encouragement/support. HANG IN THERE!!!<br><br>
I have totally felt like giving my kids away at times, and I bet most moms have.<br><br>
Can you sneak away for a couple hours a week--go to the library and read (or just sit there in the silence!), or get a coffee with a friend, or go on a nice quiet hike, something like that.<br><br>
As I always tell my dd when she is "freaking" out, "take a deep breath, and try to relax."<br><br>
You are not alone.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
You might want to check the Gentle Discipline forum. There are lots of great ideas there for handing tempers, etc.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think children who can't talk yet often rely on crying as their main form of communication, which can be pretty tough on the parents!<br><br>
When my 2 yr old is crying, instead of trying to find out "what's wrong" or talking him out of a tantrum, I just hold him or stay close by and let him know that I am there, and that I care that he is upset. I try to help him to feel supported and loved, and that usually helps him let go of his bad feelings and move on.<br><br>
This has been working for us. I hope it helps you.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Just a few little signs (sign language) makes a huge difference in preverbal kids. They can move their fingers much easier than their tongues. Please, more, sit are the three that have helped us a lot, oh, and all done. If you sign it every time you say it or think that's what she's trying to say, if she's happy help her gently form the sign (or something close), she'll pick it up in no time. It can make them feel understood, which lowers thier frustration level all around and makes truly frustrating moments not quite so over the top.

·
Registered
386 Posts
strongly recommend the books, SIBLINGS WITHOUT RIVALRY and by the same authors, HOW TO TALK SO YOUR KIDS WILL LISTEN, HOW TO LISTEN SO YOUR KIDS WILL TALK.<br><br>
these books are geared toward parents with kids of all ages. i think the sibling one would be the most helpful, now.<br><br>
they have a clever cartoon format so you instantly understand the concept.<br><br>
you can probably check them out free at a LLL meeting. that's also a good place for ideas. ask if there is a toddler meeting, but there are toddlers at any LLL meeting.<br><br>
is she still nursing? are you letting her wean herself? a nurse first, food after program can solve not only some physical problems, but some emotional ones, too.<br><br>
rrr

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will definitly get at least one of those books. I thought that 2 was a little too old to learn signs? Will I be confusing her more(delaying her speech even more)by introducung two signs. we are also a bilingual home so she is already a little delayed.<br><br>
She is no longer nursing and no longer asking. We weaned when she was 15 months( I was pregnant with my 3rd and had a supply issue) later she started asking again and I let her but she hasn't asked in a few months now so I do believe we are finished.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi - I have an almost 2 year old, and we were going through the same problem.<br><br>
This sounds really simple, and apologies if you have already implemented it, but I found immense success with allowing my son more choice in his world - what he wore, what he ate, what video he watched, whether we played in the back yard or went to the park, whether he walked or went in his stroller etc etc.<br><br>
I only offered choices when I was happy with both alternatives (ie, I wouldn't offer him to walk if I was in a hurry) and I would only ever offer two choices.<br><br>
Straight away I found he was so much more agreeable in our everyday lives! I guess he felt he had some more control over his life.<br><br>
I hope this helps

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Just a quick thought, have you looked into food allergies/sensitivities? Sometimes a senstivity to sugar, wheat, food colouring etc. can cause children to act out. A friend of mine's dd has a sensitivity to wheat flour. My friend has noted that her dd always gets really hypper (sp?) and tantrummy when she eats anything with wheat flour.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do give her some choices but it is a good idea and I will start giving her more.<br><br>
Allegeries to something hmm, never thought of that. I will have to research that and see. A log of her today should see tell me. Well we have also had some major changes going on and she may be acting out to them but I still need her to coorporate more in spite of the changes, you know.<br>
I'm also going to take them outside ALOt more. she only cried once outside and thatw as because everyone left her. (were running ahead to the park).<br><br>
I'm just SO tired of hearing how bratty she is , how terrible, how uncontrolable, how I'm not soing "something right". I know most 2 year olds go through this(my son did NOT). But it wears down your nerves hearing how bad aparent you msut be to have produced such a " spolied brat".(words from my mother, aunt, gma).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts