Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I'm new to these boards and look forward to everyone's input, introspection, and inspiration!

I've been charting since January of 2006. When I first started charting, my LP was 11 days and we conceived our first month trying! Then I had a m/c at 8 weeks. We've been trying ever since... with no luck. We're now in our fourth month of TTC post-m/c, with PERFECT BD timing and still no BFP.

After the m/c, my luteal phase was 10 days. This last cycle it dropped to nine. I'm extremely worried and wonder if I have a LP Defect and am not producing enough progesterone! They say that can be the reason for an early m/c. Also, may docs say that a LP under 12 days (!!) may be cause for infertility issues.

Before I go to my doc (my insurance is AWFUL and I'm sure they won't bother covering this since they didn't even want to cover my m/c 100%... but that's another rant for another time), I wanted to sound off in here. Have any of you used herbs or over the counter meds to increase your LP? I've heard Vitex, B6, and progesterone creams help.

Please chime in with your stories or information on these remedies... or any comments at all!

I really appreciate it. I'm stressed beyond belief.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm right there with you, LittleLilly. I'm even in a similar boat financially...no insurance.

I've been taking 200mg of vitamin B6 twice a day for the past 45 days. It has lengthened my LP by 2 days minimum. I also started using progesterone cream towards the end of my LP of the cycle I'm currently on. I may be pg, right now. I've taken 4 tests & they've all been light BFPs, and I've definitely had some early pg symptoms. I have also been taking Vitex for about 20 days, so doubt that made the difference. I contribute the lenghtening of my LP to the vitamin B6 & would highly suggest it. I was having 9 & 10 day LPs, but I'm now 13DPO & have only had light spotting so far. I normally would've had cramps & full-blown AF by now.

I've also been reading on accupuncture's help in unblocking the liver & kidneys, which is a common source of infertility issues dealing w/ short LPs. From the reading, I've done if your liver is blocked w/ estrogens (which are filtered through the liver), your body can't fully utilize the progesterone it produces & progesterone production itself is limited. I can't say I know "a lot", but I've been reading & it makes sense.

I don't know much about Clomid, since I doubt I'd go that route before going the accupuncture & natural medicine route. But, I've heard that it has helped some women w/ LPD get pg.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ang~~ thanks for the reply!

I just bought some B6 and Vitex at Whole Foods... but I think I'm going to steer clear of the Progesterone Cream until after (and IF) I talk to my doc. Hormones aren't something to mess with, you know? I HAVE heard good things about B6 though... from you and others! Hopefully this'll help me too.

I agree w/ you on the Clomid thing too. I really don't want to go that route unless it's a total last resort.

Just curious... how much Vitex are you taking? I've heard so many different recommendations!

And GOOD LUCK with the BFP!! My fingers will be crossed for you!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Just thought I'd toss in my story. I had a lp that ranged from 6-12 days. I tried b6 and the works for 7 months, with no luck. I did notice that b6 helped lengthen it by about a day. I had my progesterone tested, and it was around 14.6, where 15 was considered low "normal" So it wasnt' all that low. We ended up conceiving on clomid, but I had to go on progesterone early on (we lost a twin anyway) and again at 28 weeks, as I started having contractions. Not sure how it will go this time around, haven't been able to chart as af hasn't shown since dd was born. I hope you guys have more luck than I did!

I do know lots of women who had their problem successfully corrected with b6 and vitex, so hang in there for a few months! Our insurance paid half, and it was still very spendy for fertility help!

·
Registered
316 Posts
When I conceived the first time I had an 11 day LP, I m/c at 7 weeks. I conceived again and it looked like I was starting to m/c again. They tested my progesterone levels and it was 11.2: too low to sustain a pregnancy. So, I went on progesterone suppositories (yuck) for 14 weeks and had a successful pregnancy. Luckily my insurance covered them (they are VERY expensive and considered a fertility medication. They were actually hand delivered from a fertility company in NYC to my front door on Long Island (a good 1 1/2 hour drive) And they did it all for a $5 co-pay. Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Just thought I'd add my two cents, lilly....
I have discussed progesterone EXTENSIVELY with my doctor and my two midwives, and all parties agree that progesterone is safe, especially in the low volume delivered through the cream. The suppositories I am about to be starting will be delivering something like 100 times what the cream could, and they are considered perfectly safe. So if your troubles persist, I would bite the bullet and buy the cream. It has worked for a lot of women. The stress brought on by months of not conceiving is also a detriment to your fertility, so don't be afraid to take care of business.
Unfortunately for me, my LP defect is too wiley to have been cured by the cream. It helped, but not enough (ended in miscarriage). So we are bringing our the heavy artillery in the form of progesterone suppositories, and we are determined, dammit, this is the month for us.
Best of luck, let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started on the Vitex capsules, 400 mg each. The bottle says take 4-6 per day, so I'm going with 4 (I'm pretty small). This was my first day really loading up on all the herbals (Vitex, B6, extra Folic, Green Tea, and EPO)... and I have to say I felt really edgy this morning. Like "diet pill" edgy. Hopefully my body will acclimate after a couple days, because it was NOT fun.

I can't stop dwelling on the short LP deal, though. I hate that I may have had low progesterone during my first preg, and that's what caused the m/c... because that was TOTALLY something I could've avoided had I known!!

If, w/ all these herbals, we still aren't pregnant with my September cycle, I'm going to bring it up during my Annual. I'll make an appointment with the OB who saw me through the m/c... since she knows some history. I just hope it doesn't come to that.

On the flip side, if we DO get pregs, I will DEMAND an early appointment with her (no waiting until 8 weeks... when my babies could possibly already dead like they were the first time), have my progesterone levels monitored like crazy, and be the ultimate psycho mom-to-be as far as attention goes!!

Oh... one more thing about the Progesterone Creams. One of the reasons I opted to NOT try it, is because I've read that it can interfere with the body's uptake of the herbals. I thought I'd try either one route or the other... and decided to start with the herbs. If progesterone becomes necessary, I suppose I'll just take them the more direct suppository (ew) way...!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hello! Keeping my
: that your herbs do the trick! I had a 9-11 day LP previously and did a month of Optivite (vitamins recommended by the NFP crowd - got them ordered at CVS) and have since been on a Super B-Complex in additional to my prenatals. The past two cycles have had 14 and 13 day lps, and I'm feeling pretty confident that that will continue (or I'll eventually get knocked up, either one!)

Good luck!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Natural Family Planning. It uses the sympto-thermal method and is distributed/supported/updated by the Couple to Couple League Intntl. www.ccli.org.

All of which is really just a long way of saying, around here at least, Catholics.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My previous three charts showed very short LP (6-7 days). I've been taking 150 mg of vit B6, and just upped it to 200 mg a few days ago. I've also been drinking many cups of red raspberry tea a day. I haven't tried vitex/chasteberry yet, but I'm interested in it.

What do you guys think - should I start taking it now (6-8 DPO? --FF can't really decide when I ovulated)? Or just wait for the next cycle?

I'm starting to freak myself out a bit. Like it'd be great if I got pregnant from correcting my luteal phase defect, but if I have a progesterone deficiency linked to LPD, I'm worried that I'll have an early miscarriage. OY. I think I will have to call a doctor at the end of this cycle, whether it will be with my period starting or with a BFP.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymousk
Natural Family Planning. It uses the sympto-thermal method and is distributed/supported/updated by the Couple to Couple League Intntl. www.ccli.org.

All of which is really just a long way of saying, around here at least, Catholics.

That's gotta be the best thing I've heard all day!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.