6-8 short ribs, on the bone<br>
2/3 to 1lb cippolini or pearl onions, peeled and halved<br>
1 bunch scallions, rooted, medium chop, or 1 medium leek, medium chop<br>
5 cloves of garlic, halved<br>
1/2lb baby carrots, peeled and cut into 1" pieces<br>
3 stalks celery, washed and cut into 1/2" dice<br>
1lb mushrooms of your choice, cleaned and halved<br>
12-16oz beef broth<br>
1 bouquet garni (stalks of thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf tied together with string)<br>
6-8 oz red wine<br><br>
In a large pot, bring the beef broth to a boil while you proceed with the next steps. Once the broth comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer so as not to cook it all away.<br><br>
Season the short rib pieces liberally with kosher salt and black pepper.<br>
Over medium-high heat, sear the short ribs on both sides in a large cast-iron pan or stainless rondeau until a steak-like, brown crust is achieved. Be sure to regulate your heat well so that the brown bits in the bottom of the pan are not scorched. Remove the short ribs from the pan (you can hold them in the crockpot at this point) and turn the heat to medium-low.<br><br>
In the pan where you seared the meat, add the chopped vegetables, about 1/4 at a time, and saute them in the meat drippings for a few minutes, until they have some color. Season the vegetables lightly with salt as they begin to cook. Do NOT add all your vegetables at once; if you do that you might as well put them into the crockpot raw and let them boil.<br><br>
Put the seared vegetables on top of the meat in the crock pot. If the broth is at a boil or a simmer, you can now pour it into the crock pot and turn it on. Remember to include the bouquet garni.<br><br>
After all the veg have been seared, return the pan to the heat and raise the temperature to medium-high. Pour 3-4oz of the red wine into the pan and allow it to reduce by 1/3. Pour this into the crock pot as well, cover, and cook for 4 to 6 hours (depending on your crockpot). The meat is done when it falls easily off the bone.<br><br>
Remove the short rib pieces and place on a plate. Remove as many vegetables as possible with a slotted spoon and reserve. Strain the crockpot liquid through the finest sieve you have, into a pot big enough to hold all or most of the juice. Bring this pot to a boil, then reduce the heat to med-low and reduce the juice by 2/3. This will create a loose, "au jus" kind of sauce, though if you want it more gravylike, start by cooking a blond roux in your pot, then stir in a few ladles of the juice until a gravylike consistency is achieved.<br><br>
Serve with egg noodles, rice, or your favorite potato dish.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I don't know if you can adapt this for the crockpot, but I've made Charlie Palmer's Guinness-braised short ribs a couple of times, and they're amazing. Scroll down--they're about halfway through the article.<br><a href="http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/26/earlyshow/living/recipes/main2125358_page3.shtml" target="_blank"><br>
Charlie Palmer's short ribs</a>

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for these! They sound soooo good<br><br>
My friend me a terriyaki-y-style recipe that i'm going to try for my first go....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts