Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 mo old just got her first adjustment and she really wailed. It alarmed me b/c she usually only cries like that when something hurts. She is sensitive though. I do trust our chiro and he reassured me it doesn't hurt...just something new and scary/possibly uncomfortable for a second. Does anyone know if this should happen? He said babies usually cry, but only for a minute. Dd was fine with him afterwards which I doubt she would have been if he hurt her. Her cry just alarmed me a little bit.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
That happened with our last adjustment as well. It scared me, and made me suspicious and skeptical, but I don't know...he's fine now. And he was a minute after the adjustment. It IS pretty weird/scary to be picked up and twisted around, or even be HELD by someone other than mommy. Let alone someone who's movements are so sudden.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well for starters one of her legs is quite longer than the other...pretty normal for everyone, but hers is rather significant. She also has had multiple and neverending ear infections despite homeopathic and antibiotic treatment. Babies get their first interference at birth when (if) the doctor twists them as they come out. The only adjustment she gets is on the upper cervical spine b/c the rest of the spine follows that. The idea is to have no pressure on the brainstem which leads to good alignment and overall wellness. It lets your body function and heal to its potential. It treats the cause and not the effects. The amount of pressure used is no greater than what you would put on your eyelid. I was just alarmed at how she cried...I hope it is not like that everytime.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianchick View Post
Why would a baby have to go to a chiropractor??
That's what I was really trying to say!

Edited to add....I sent this post at the same time as the above one (that explains why), I think!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I started taking my dd when she was just over a year. She did used to cry at first but I think it was mostly b/c she was scared of being held by a stranger and having a stranger touch her. She would have appts where she was find and then appts where she cried. Now she is 2.5 and LOVES the chiro. She specifcally asks to go.

I started taking her b/c she was a horrible sleeper. She was a csection delivery which is anything but gentle. She hasn't had 1 ear infection since and she had several her first year.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Quote:

Because the birth process for 1 can be quite damaging to a childs developing spine & nervous system. Adjusting the childs spine, or cranium allows the body to operate at a higher function. When bones become locked in a particular position they can inhibit that babys' ability to develop properly. It doesn't mean a baby is necessarily in pain, although some can be. There are other indicators (short leg, malformed head, reflux, poor rooting relfex, torticollis, etc) that lead the chiropractor to know which area of the spine needs to be adjusted. The beautiful thing about kids is they have such moldable spines, correcting these things takes a fraction of the time that it takes to correct in an adult.

Cahwilson--I have found that when a baby has an area of the spine that has been stuck in a particular position, they can cry b/c it does produce tension inside their little bodies.
The beauty of chiropractic adjustments though, is that with very little pressue you can take this tension away & help their spines/nervous system stay healthy. I let all my parents know that yes crying can be their way of letting me know where the problem is. And as you experienced, it subsides rather quickly.

Kudos to you for understanding how vitally important it is to have your childs spine evaluated by a chiropractor.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
To the OP - I would think stranger anxiety more than anything. She might have been okay until he put her in a different position, or a noise or something else scared her. Then once she was back in your arms, she was fine and able to smile at the chiro again.

Quote:

Birth trauma to the baby is the most common reason a baby would need to go. Once baby is older, the bumps and tumbles they take can also be a very important reason to have them checked out regularly.

Another reason is this: my DS3 was fine after birth (his first appt was at 5 days old and only that late b/c I was on bedrest after he was born) but things quickly happened that necessitated adjustments.

First off, he was readmitted to hospital for a week at 9 days old and given 3 spinal tap attempts (long story) on top of many other procedures where he had to be restrained. Anything that traumatic to a baby is going to need some help in healing.

Secondly, DS3 was tongue-tied. When the tongue can't lift properly, the palate does not shape properly. We have had immense breastfeeding difficulties as the bones in his palate were not able to stay in their proper positions therefore he was unable to maintain suction. The chiro adjusts these bones and then we are nursing better. We also had his frenulum clipped, but not until he was 2 months old, as it took me that long to get my courage up to take him in for another procedure after his week in the hospital as a newborn.

I have helped many mamas with babies born with issues that would otherwise make breastfeeding extremely difficult, if not impossible without the help of a good chiro.

Hope that helps clear up this issue for you!

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
what the 2 pp said. My kids have all seen the chiro since infancy. dd and ds2 have been since the day they were born. I feel that it is essential-there is ALWAYS birth trauma-my kids were born at home and they still clearly needed it.

I can't recall them ever crying, but they started young. IF your kiddo was particularly stuck then I could see it being a suprise. Also, please don't discount the release of trauma which can be quite uncomfortable. Dd had one particularly difficult session where she was releasing quite a bit. The crying was less about hte adjustment than it was about the past trauma.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.