Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the noncustodial parent of a 13 month old. Within the last few weeks, my daughter has become very clingy to her mother whenever I'm around. She'll still play and laugh, but most of the time she'll want to hold Mom's hand or sit with her. Her Mother says that I'm the only one she acts this way around and says that we should go down to 2 days of visitation a week instead of 3. The mother is always looking out for the best interest of the child, but has expressed to me that if it was up to her, she would not have me part of the child's life. I'm not a bad person at all, and my interaction with the child is not harmful in any way... in fact I have been raising 2 other daughters of my own for the last 8 years. Is reducing visitation the best thing to do for the child's well being and the relationship I have with her? Or is there other possible selfish motivation behind this request?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I would say that the behaviour is developmentally normal and there is no need to reduce visits because of it.

I doubt reducing the visits would be beneficial for your relationship with your daughter (all else being equal) but i wouldn’t automatically assume that suggesting reduced visits is a sign of malicious intent. Her mother may well believe it is the right thing to do. I wouldn’t raise it but if her mother suggests it again I would politely tell her that you would like to continue as things are. If you have court orders in place, you are entitled to this anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
I agree that visitation should not be decreased as long as you are a capable, loving parent. Being clingy is pretty normal for a child, and the best way to counteract against it is to be a loving active parent. Is all your parenting time spent with the child's mother around? Unless you are restricted to supervised parenting time (and even then it should be supervised by a neutral third party) you should have time with your daughter without her mother being present.
Good luck to all of you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts