Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
If they are using names of a someone who was killed without the families' consent, then yes, they should not do that. However, if they aren't using anyone's names, then it's an issue of free speech, and there is nothing anyone can do then, as free speech is protected under the US constitution.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
1st) this tshirt is not advertising, it is political free speech
2nd) the soldier in question's name is one among 1700

I certainly think it would be very bad taste to put a recognizable picture of any dead soldier on a tshirt without consent of the family. I also think that if the tshirt were advertising something "Drink the beer more dead soldiers chose" or something, that would be wrong.

~Maria

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
It is a free speech issue. That law is dumb and Unconstitutional. There is no way to justify extending this kind of protection exclusively to servicemembers.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cornflower_3
I do think they should get permission before using the name of someone's dead child on a shirt. No matter what the cause, I would want someone to obtain my permission before using one of my children, alive or dead, as an example for any agenda. Laws aside, I feel like its common decency.
but in the case of a dead soldier, this is someone who was doing a job, a very public job in the service of the AMerican taxpayers. I really feel like the names of the dead are in the public domian & if that public information is used in the course of free speech, there is nothing anyone can do to stop it, short of suspending the constitution. Which would be ironic, since freedom & the american way is what these poor dead guys & gals are fighting for, eh? I think the shirt is a moving memorial to those deaths, IMHO.
~Maria

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
I feel very strongly that it is indecent to do, but believe it is more harmful to have a law like that.

(using someones tragedy to promote your own agenda as pp's said is just sick IMO)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
IT's public record. Should we then make it illegal for newspapers to print the names of soldiers who die in the line of duty? For soldiers who break the law by say, um, TORTURING PRISONERS OF WAR????

Slippery slope, my friends, slippery slope.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I do think it would have been nice of him to obtain permission from the families. But still free speech. And a darn good shirt.
:

·
Registered
244 Posts
The names of the soldiers are part of history - getting permission for their use is just absurd. The shirt isn't attributing views or quotes to the dead soldiers, which would be overstepping IMO. I hope this law withers and dies in the light of day, though I don't think the shirt would violate the law even if it stands - it's a simple statement of fact, not 'advertising.'

·
Registered
495 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkinsmama
I feel very strongly that it is indecent to do, but believe it is more harmful to have a law like that.

(using someones tragedy to promote your own agenda as pp's said is just sick IMO)

:

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkinsmama
Then that makes GWB the sickest man of all...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts