Mothering Forum banner

Should I go milk-free with #2 before she's even born?

• Yes, cut all dairy (strict)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Yes, but just reduce dairy, don't need to be strict

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, wait and see if she shows signs of allergy

• Other

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I debated whether to post this in Breastfeeding Challenges or Allergies. DS was diagnosed with a milk allergy at 3 months of age. I cut all dairy out of my diet for about a year and slowly started adding it back after that. DS (3 yo now) has quite a bit of dairy in the forms of cheese and yogurt, but has never drank much milk--I don't push it and he doesn't ask for it often. He seems to be fine with dairy now, so I assume he's outgrown his allergy. For what it's worth, DH also had a dairy allergy as a child, although his lasted into his school years. He can drink milk now as an adult.<br><br>
I'm pregnant with #2 and wondering if I should preemptively cut dairy from my diet before the baby is born. What are the chances she'll have the same allergy? Would it be helpful to cut back on major consumption (like not drinking milk or eating cheese or yogurt) without going all the way and avoiding everything that has trace amounts? When I cut dairy with DS I was very strict and consequently had to cook nearly everything I ate. I admit it was hard even with a 3 month old and I imagine it'll be even harder with newborn + toddler to take care of.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I'm planning on cutting (actually already have) dairy and gluten while pregnant/nursing. Tho, any baby could react to any food. Dairy is the highest, I believe. You can also use probiotics and keep your gut in shape while pregnant.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts