Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p><span style="display:none;"> </span><span style="font-size:medium;">hi, i'm new here.</span></p>
<p><span style="font-size:medium;">I'm not considering a carrer change (i studied languages and did related things and teaching). i'm a mother of 4 and breastfed all of them (including a pair of twins) for a long time until they were toddlers. i feel connected to the breasfeeding world and the the breasfeeding idea and i thought of becoming a lactation consultant. i'm aware of the new requirements and this can be solved.</span></p>
<p><span style="font-size:medium;">I'm more concerned about the profession itself. i know that if i'm not a RN i won't be able to work in a hospital settings and that's fine with me. on the contrary, i'm much interested in the private and community settings. i don't live in the US i'm from another region. i just wanted to ask those moms who already did any course in the field or those who are also considering this profession: Is it a very "clinical"/ "medical" field? i'm a bit scared i won't be able to feel comfortable with the clinical part, with the "nurse" style things. i thought about becoming a La leche league leader, feeling it is "lighter" than becoming and LC....</span><br>
 </p>

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
<p>If you're just looking to help moms and stay connected to the breastfeeding world, then I would consider LLL leader.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Yes, it is hard to find work as an IBCLC in a hospital unless you are an RN.   I believe it is hard to find clients in the private sector..but that mind depend on your country.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Yes, IBCLC can be very "clinical".  They really deal with the "abnormal" ...premature babies, tongue-tie, cleft-palate, babies with developmental issues, serious low weight-gain, etc</p>
<p> </p>
<p>LLL is more about supporting mothers during the normal course of breastfeeding (ie, cluster feeding, sleep issues, mastitis, clogged ducts, thrush, nursing strikes, weaning, etc.)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think it really depends on what you want.  IBCLC is a career, and if you are going to make it as a private IBCLC, you would really need to put the work in (involved with owning your own business, etc.).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>LLL can be more of a hobby,</p>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>thank you for replying. I'm less concerned about finding a job and having my own business, i'm more concerned about the type of work i'll have to do an an IBCLC, as of what will i have to deal with regularly. i understand you suggestion regarding LLL... i'm thinking about it.</p>

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
<p>Well, it just depends on what type of setting you end up working in, some would be more clinical then others. An IBCLC is a medical professional though so there is certain things you have to expect. Being previously in the medical professional can be helpful by already having a knowledge base to pull from, knowing how to chart, assess a mom and baby, etc... I do work in a community setting, (I am an RN) and while it is less clinical then a hospital, it is certainly more medical then say being a LLL Leader. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good Luck!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts