Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7,238 Posts
OOOH, Here's something i can feel comfortable helping with (i'm so lost in the world of CD's it's not even funny!)

Ok, credentials first, so you feel better...I'm a speech-language pathologist with 10+ years experience- the majority working with kids.

Now for the info.....Children between 2-4 typically go through some level of "normal" stuttering or "dysfluency." As their language develops very rapidly, they can't always organize their thoughts, words and mouths to orchestrate a smooth delivery. for children with later language development, this normal period can come later.

To differentiate stuttering from "normal dysfluency," look at the overall behaviors...if the repetitions are simple, like "w-w-w-w-water," and are not accompanied by stress, tension, unusual behaviors (e.g., blinking, facial grimaces, etc.), it's VERY likely "normal" and will resolve on its own. If other factors are involved, and it continues for a long period of time, a speech-language evaluation might be a good idea.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if i made sense! If you are still concerned, please PM me!

· Registered
7,238 Posts
I'm so glad i could ease your minds!!! Keep an eye on those pesky gp's or other adults who may call attention to it- it can quickly become something your babe's could learn to do on purpose (the whole, any attention is good attention thing!). They're just so funny at this age!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.