Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, he has always been small, around the 5th %-ile. At his 2 year well-baby he weighed about 27lbs. Then in February he got a really bad stomach bug and got really dehydrated. We took him to the hospital and he had lost about 4lbs and had to stay there for 4 days. Since then he had gained weight and was at 26, so still not up to pre-sickness weight, but in the last month he has lost a pound.
I guess my question is: Should this be concerning? Some days he eats fairly well other days he will barely eat anything, he never asks to eat. He is gaining height but is losing weight. He also has a recurring low-grade fever with no other symptoms, about 3-5 times a week his temp will be around 100 or above.
If anyone has any thoughts about this I'd appreciate some input.

· Registered
535 Posts
In terms of his weight in and of itself, he's actually above the 5th percentile. My ds was 50th percentile at birth at 7#5oz and dropped because he's long and lean and very active. At his 2y check-up he was 23lbs which put him around the 10th percentile for weight, but he was 90th percentile for height. Right now at 3yo, he's 27lbs or so and 12th percentile for weight but still 90th for height but we're not concerned because he's healthy and active and not giving us any reason for concern. So at 2yo he actually weighed less than your ds.

My concern would be the recurring low-grade temp. Given the time of year though, it could be allergies. What other symptoms is he showing? What has the doc said? Have they done any lab work like a CBC to check his white cell count? Allergies can affect appetite (which is why it could be evening out or even drop a tiny bit, as my ds has allergies and his weight fluctuates a tiny bit during allergy season as does my own) because the taste buds are affected by smell and he may not want to eat. Just some ideas of things to explore, but I'd definitely suggest explore what's going on as it seems like the lil guy needs some relief.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.