Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Personally I'd be wary of taking black cohosh. That is meant to put you into labor from what I've read. I can see if you were 42 weeks, but at 37 weeks, not really even term, I wouldn't start with that.

The other things like rrl tea and epo, are for cervix ripening and uterus toning (the tea) and are perfectly safe from everything I have heard. I know people who have taken the epo in order to avoid an induction since it supposedly prepares your cervix. Neither one of these will send you into labor though.

· Registered
1,073 Posts
From what I have heard from people who deal with herbs a lot, you really should look at them like you would pitocin. They are something you would probably want to try instead of pit if you needed to be induced for some reason, but not something you want to mess with if it's not necessary. Not all herbs fall into this catagory, but the ones for starting labor do. Just because they are natural doesn't mean they are risk free. I had my first ds at 37 weeks and then ds 2 didn't come along until 39 weeks so I know what the waiting is like. I even asked my Bradley teacher who sells herbs about taking black cohosh at 38 weeks and she said absolutely not, but come back if you get to 42 weeks. If you are really starting to go into labor (which it sounds like you might be
) then you will do it with or without the herbs. Sending healthy labor vibes your way!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.