Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My babe, 4.5 months, rolled of the couch earlier today when his father was supposed to be watching him. I meediately laid him down and nursed him until he was calm, we checked him over and found no bruises or anything that seemed broken or out of place. After a few minutes of nursing he seemed fine, happy and flirting again. He's been fighting sleep since then, but I passed it off as the teeth he's got coming in. My first fell out of his crib at roughly this same age and after a long and expensive ER trip I was told that as long as he's acting fine that he's fine.

So just a few minuts ago he suddenly woke up screaming. I rushed to him and nursed him back down, but I noticed that he's dripping in sweat. he's only wearing a thin shirt and a diaper and no covers on him as its comfortable in the house. His body feels kind of clammy and his head is burning hot and wet from sweat.

I'm terrorfied that its somehow related to the fall and a sign of impending brain damage or something. No vomiting, just spitting up but he's always spitting up, no seisures or anything like that. He was fine just half an hour ago before he fell asleep for the first time.

Tell me I'm over reacting, tell me that a fever isn't a sign of anything, tell me that he probably just caught a bug at the Halloween carnival Saturday night.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I'm no doctor, but when it comes to our babies, its better safe than sorry. If you are feeling like something is wrong, go to the er...now. Do not wait. It may be nothing, but still. Never hurts to check.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Oh man, head injuries are the worst.
I've had my share of experiences with that one! Here is a link to "Ask Dr. Sears"; I have found his advice to be practical and calming when I am freaking out.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t110245.asp

I think the most important piece of advice he gives is this:

"After the period of observation, depending on your baby's condition, you may or may not wish to call the doctor. Besides any when-to-call-the-doctor list there is an overriding inner voice. Trust this monitoring system as much as the most sophisticated electronics. If it tells you something's not quite right, call your doctor to report baby's condition, seek advice, and above all tell the doctor why you are concerned."

namaste,
cloudspinning

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I would call your Ped... I didn't think you would get a "fever" or sweats from a fall.. but I am far from a doctor... I hope the little one is ok though!!! Hugs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would get him seen by a doctor too. It's best to get him checked out if you are worried even if it turns out that there is nothing wrong.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momz3 View Post
I'm no doctor, but when it comes to our babies, its better safe than sorry. If you are feeling like something is wrong, go to the er...now. Do not wait. It may be nothing, but still. Never hurts to check.
I agree. Im not one to run to the doctor for much but I will not mess w/ head injurys. If your DC had seemed fine after words I wouldn't be worried but w/ a fever Id be a tad worried and just get him check just to be sure

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
my *darling* daughter has had two couch dives!
Just wanna chime in so you're not alone! She was fine after some nursing and cuddling, the second time she came out with a little bruise on her knee that went away in a day. At least we have a low couch over carpet. If she had shown fever later I definitely would have been (even more) worried.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for responding! I kept an eye on him and the fever broke sometime in the night. He's acting fine, no obvious bruises or injuries. His ped. said that as long as he is acting fine not to worry but if I notice any changes to bring him in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts