Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1pm appointment with my OB today.

I'm also on day 4 of a pretty miserable cold. (bad enough that I've called out to work- something I pretty much never do)

My husband thinks I should cancel my OB appointment rather than risk spreading cold germs to the other pregnant women.

I disagree for the following reasons:

1. Selfishly: I want to finally hear the heartbeat and the office is busy enough that if I try and reschedule, it'll likely be at least two weeks until I can get in again...

2. According to his information packet, my OB sees sick patients. In the section re: flus, colds, etc. he asks that you make an appointment with his office if you feel you need medication and can't wait it out with rest and fluids. So I won't be the only sick person to come through his office.

What do you think? Should I try and reschedule? Is going to my appointment selfish of me?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't think it's selfish. But then again, I am super sick too. I am on day 7 of my nasty cold and just wishing I had an OB to go to just to make sure everything was ok and I don't have something that will affect the baby.

I'm sure they won't think any less of you for going to your appointment! Do they have a 24 hour cancelation policy?

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
If you feel up to going I would go. It's a doctors office, they've seen sick people
I was sick last week and had a bad sore throat and almost called my midwife to get in to be seen even sooner just to have throat culture done but luckily I started to feel better. But had my appt been then anyways I would have went.

Go hear that baby's heartbeat and then get some rest so you feel better!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the reassurances!

I've been counting down to this appointment: at 10 weeks, they didn't want to try and hear the heartbeat because of my tilted uterus so I was told to wait until this appointment- at 14 weeks. I have the usual first pregnancy jitters, and I just think that I'll feel better after we've heard the heartbeat... (other than on the ultrasound... we heard it there at 8 weeks)

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I say go. You can always check in, explain that you have a nasty cold and ask if you can wait either outside (if it is off of a lobby) or in a waiting room. Then at least YOU'Ve done your due diligence, and it is up to them to make a decision.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went- and the nurse practioner has the same cold so we commiserated for a bit!

At any rate, though: we heard the heartbeat! 156 bpm! Everything looks normal and a-OK, and suddenly, this seems really, really real to me for the first time- I even went shopping for maternity clothes! Um, there's really a baby growing inside me!

(First time Mom who is in awe and amazement that this is actually happening!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts