Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend got me this gift certificate for a massage when dd was born, I finally got it done today!

Question is, I know that massage releases toxins into the bloodstream, will this affect my milk? I am pumping before I get dd from the sitter, just in case.

Should I dump it, which I hate to do, or give it to her at daycare this week?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
What kind of massage does that?? I've never heard of such a thing, but I'm sorta clueless about massages...it's enough trouble to get my dh to give me one... LOL!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I'd like to know as well! I suspect that there is no problem with it, but admit almost complete ignorance to massage.

Bec

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going off of what the massuese (sorry for the spelling) told me.

I think it was lactic acid that is released from the muscles?

She wasnt sure about the milk thing, and I have never read anywhere not to bf after a deep massage, but I know that some moms dont get deep massages during pregnancy for fear of the toxins that can be released.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The sad fact is that all breast milk has toxins in in all the time, simply because we modern human beings are exposed to them all the time. I wouldn't really worry too much about that though, because other living things are exposed to toxins and species specific milk is still the best thing there is.

If it were me, I wouldn't dump it.

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
yeah a question i feel i can answer. if it was me i would dump it unless it was a lymphatic massage (a massage along the lymph areas specifically to reduce and elimanate toxins from the body) or a deep tissue massage after i had been exposed to toxins i.e. bathroom caulk when i would dump anyway. in my infant massage or pregnancy massage classes this was never brought up though.
go with your gut. i would not dump
maya

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
You also release lactic acid from the muscles when you exercise. I go to the gym a couple times a week (that's the goal anyway), and I'm not going to pump and dump every time I exercise. It just seems wasteful.

I just try to live in a manner where I'm taking in as few toxins as possible.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry, don't have a link right now, but someone on another board just provided a link showing evidence that massage before nursing aactually *increases nutrients!

My computer crashed last week, and I'm working on half a puter now, but I'll try to get the link to you sometime this week!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey, loving my babies, I am getting a massage on Saturday too!

I have had massages before-while pregnant and while nursing. My massage therapist never told me to dump my milk. I will ask her but it doesn't matter to me anyway since I never get much milk from pumping anyway.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by margaritamama
Hey, loving my babies, I am getting a massage on Saturday too!

yay! I'm so excited for both of us.. it's been a while since I had a massage, now I hope to do it more often, my massouse is a nun! how funny is THAT!

ALSO, I have yet another question about massage. This lady asked me if it would be ok for me because I have to lay on my stomack (therefore, on my breasts as well) will this be ok? I will be on that position for 2 hours.. and even though dh will be picking me up so I can nurse ds as soon as I come out, I'm worried the pressure on my breasts can create a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
hi- unless she will work on your backside the entire massage, you will roll over half way thru so she can work on your front side too. ask her if she or the studio she works in has the cushions for pregnancy massage she could use a couple of them to make you "more comfortable" up top, if you or her are worried about it. ive never massaged a person with them in one position the entire time, i have always seen it done and done it with the client rolling over half way.

have fun at your massage, drink an extra glass of water after it helps remove the build up lactic acid.
maya

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the responses!

I never thought about excercising doing the same thing! (I guess I should excercise more) I didnt get a deep tissue or lymphatic massage, which I think are the most likely to release toxins.

It is scary to think about the toxins we are exposed to on a daily basis and passing that on, but that is the subeject for another thread!

As far as the lying on the stomach goes, I asked to be on my tummy for as little time as possible. But my baby is almost a year, so I dont have the hard breasts anymore. I had to leave my bra on (straps down) though to minimize the sheet rubbing.

Yeah to the mommas taking time for themselves!!!!

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
maya- I remember having a massage when dd was 1 1/2 months old, and after it I started bleeding again. (about 10 minutes after I got up) and my PP bleeding had stopped. why does this happen? and will they tell me to turn around? I have never been asked that before. do they massage the breasts? that's odd, I've only had full-body back massages, not front ones. (just so I prepare myself mentally) lol...

and can someone explain what is lactic acid?

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
you could (and i would) bring your own super soft towel or sarong or something to place on the table where you breast would lie. that way if you wanted to you could take of your bra, unless you wearing it for support.
really massage is great, my son just had one last night but i wouldnt let him hall out the table for it.lol.
maya

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by loving-my-babies
maya- I remember having a massage when dd was 1 1/2 months old, and after it I started bleeding again. (about 10 minutes after I got up) and my PP bleeding had stopped. why does this happen? and will they tell me to turn around? I have never been asked that before. do they massage the breasts? that's odd, I've only had full-body back massages, not front ones. (just so I prepare myself mentally) lol...

and can someone explain what is lactic acid?
you prbly started bleeding again cos massage gets everything moving again. some women i know will get there period early if they go for a massage a day or two before it is due cos of the massage.
yes the will probly tell you to roll over about half way thru, i always start with the client lying on their back and start at their face. about half way thru i say ok its time to roll over now i hold the top sheet and ask them to roll away from me, that way i dont see their private areas. for some ppl massage can bring up memories of abuse or trauma so i am always careful for them to feel protected.
lactic acid is the a toxin that build up in your muscles when you use them. massage drains it out into the lymph area so your body can proccess it out. some m.t. do massage the breast for breast cancer or other dis-eases. i dont know if your therapist will touch your breasts but i cant see why she would. she may massage the area between your breast, your chest area, armpits, etc.
have fun.
maya

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I don't understand this talk about pumping and dumping.

Women are not generally advised to do this for alcohol, right? All you need to do is wait the two hours or whatever it is for the alcohol to leave your blood level, and then it won't be in your milk. Same for medications--you don't necessarily have to pump and dump (unless you will be missing a feeding for a young baby), you just wait until an appropriate amount of time for the med to clear your bloodstream. Why would it be any different for massage, assuming that toxins *are* actually released (which I would want evidence of before I bothered to miss any nursings)?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts