Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, my son started signing to me before he pooped. He also sometimes signs for pee too. (the same sign) We've always done an hour of naked time before bed, so I'm no stranger to cleaning up messes. I figured we might as well try some pottying.

But, he doesn't seem to understand what his little potty is for and was scared of the big potty. So, I bought him a seat for the big potty, but he is afraid of that too.

Do I just stop with the potty? I really don't want to be cleaning up messes forever, though. Or, do I just keep putting him on it and encourage him that it's okay? And, he just had a minor freakout after nap. He signed that he had to go, so I put him on the potty. But he got scared and then was all upset and hasn't gone potty yet.

This is our first day, so should I just let him be for a bit? Just let him go as he will? Do I tell him he's peeing as he does it?

Should I even be doing this if half the day he has to have a diaper on? Am I just going to make it harder when he is ready to potty learn?

Sorry I'm rambly.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Personally, I think any EC is better than none. At 16 months, my daughter would consistently tell me after she had peed, sometimes before she had peed, and I could tell when she had to poop, but she wouldn't sit on the potty. It's okay. Just leave the potty out, offer occasionally, diaper/trainers when you don't want to clean up messes, talk about what's happening ("Oh look - that's pee pee! How about you sit on your potty and see if there's any more pee pee?", etc.) and it will work itself out.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
i think the best place to start is with communication. it's a totally new concept that you're throwing at him right now, peeing and pooing in the potty. it's awesome that he's aware that he's going (or that he's gone) and that's a big hurdle already past. what i think you need to do now is just talk to him about pee and poo and how it goes in the potty. tell him that, right now he goes in his diaper, but that you'd like him to try and do it in the potty because he will feel cleaner and dryer. let him come to the bathroom with you and let him see what you're doing - "look, mama's peeing in the potty," or "look, mama just pooped in the potty." offer to let him sit on his potty while you sit on yours. if you know anyone with either older kids who are potty trained or similarly aged kids who are EC'd, maybe letting him observe them would be helpful too.

once he understands what is up and what you want him to do, he might be more willing to try.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Another thought is that you might try a different potty. He might not be comfortable on the one you have, and could feel more secure on something like one of those potty chairs with arms to hold onto.

Also, my DD usually won't sit still and relax for poyyting (even in arms) unless she really has to go badly or has something to hold/chew/play with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.