Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So back story - conceived DD on an oops cycle, though we had had 5 cycles with unprotected sex with no pregnancy throughout 2 years of charting to avoid using withdrawal (we were ok with an oops) before we got pregnant with her.<br><br>
We used withdrawal after she was born until 11mo - we've been TTC since then with 2 losses, one at 5w which was most likely due to an LPD, and a missed m/c (baby passed at 8.5w, m/c at 12.5w). It took 6 cycles to get pregnant with the latest m/c and I'm an obsessive tester, so I'm fairly certain there were no losses in between there.<br><br>
I'm 27, DH just turned 28. We do drink caffeine, though I only have the equivalent of 1 can of pepsi a day or so. DH drinks a LOT of Bud Light and he chews tobacco. We eat fairly healthily otherwise, no junk food. He did have a hydrocele in April of last year that resolved on its own. I am still nursing DD, but my cycles are regular, I'm ovulating on CD16-18 with 10-12 day LPs (yes, I know they are on the low side, they had started lengthening out to 12 days and then we got pregnant, and this is the 3rd cycle since the m/c - 1st one was 8 days, next was 10 days, so I'm expecting at least 10 days this cycle).<br><br>
At this point we have been TTC for a year, and I'm starting to wonder if possibly DH might have subpar fertility that is lowering our chances of conception along with my shorter than normal LPs. In all 3 pregnancies, I had a BFP at 10 dpo.<br><br>
I found out that our insurance covers 50% of infertility - but DH might be getting another job next month and I'm not sure how their insurance works and if it would cover things.<br><br>
Is it worth it to get a SA?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add, I have been off of caffeine for most of this past year, but after 12m of TTC, I figured this cycle I'm going to drink my darn soda. Normally I am not drinking caffeine.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I personnally believe that it is ALWAYS worth getting a semen analysis. However, in your case, with several conceptions, it might not be absolutely necessary as a major problem would not be likely. So, it would depend mostly on budget and what you would do if it was abnormal. For subpar but not catastrophic sperm, IUIs can work wonders. Alternatively, if it is something like a varicocele, it can potentially be repared.<br><br>
I would be more concerned about the repeated miscarriages and would want to investigate that if anything.<br><br>
Overall, in a situation like yours, it could be very reasonnable to just keep trying for a while before consulting just like it could make sense to start getting some tests to see if anything if abnormal.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I would get an SA. If there is a problem in that area, you can move on to other options immediately. Where I live it costs about $100.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'd get the SA too. It's relatively inexpensive and can give a lot of information.<br><br>
Plus, if you do decide to go forward with an RE in the future, you'll be able to walk into your appointment with that additional information in hand.<br><br>
But I will also say, that if you're husband has been able to get you pregnant twice in the recent past, it's likely that his fertility is ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts