Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pondering this. Anyone have one and love/hate it? Is it easy to do. I don't care for regular yogurt. I LOVE greek-style yogurt (thicker- creamier, less "Tart")can a yogurt maker make greek-style yogurt? My ds eats yogurt (yobaby) every single day. ANyway, just wanting opinions.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
i havent heard of the greek style yogurt, but i'm in love with our yogurt maker!
if you wanted a less tart yogurt, you could ferment for a shorter period of time, or add a couple of drops of liquid stevia to the end product. for a 'creamier' yogurt, you could use a full fat dairy product (that's what we do) or even add some cream before you ferment.

is yobaby one of the "yogurt" puddings with lots of sugars added? it might be a difficult transition at first going over to real yogurt without added sweeteners and flavourings, but will be way healthier for your family in the long run

all the best!
moss

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yobaby is supposed to be all natural, whole milk yogurt. At least that's what they advertise it to be!

My mom has a yogurt maker and loves it. She even wore one out over the years and bought a new one. If you like yogurt I'd bet you'd love a yogurt maker too.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I used to have a yogurt maker but I prefer to make it in one big container rather than the little cups so I gave it up and just use a warm place in the house to make it in a bowl. I have seen a new maker that has one big bowl.

In order to make Greek style yogurt you need to strain the yogurt. That is what makes it thicker and it does seem to take some of the tartness away. I have a strainer makde by Donvier for this purpose.

·
Banned
123 Posts
Quote:
I used to have a yogurt maker but I prefer to make it in one big container rather than the little cups so I gave it up and just use a warm place in the house to make it in a bowl.
Me too. Except I just make it in quart sized, wide mouth canning jars. I add powdered milk into whole milk to make it a little thicker & I guess I usually let it ferment about 5 hours or so. I have a machine but it seems to get too hot or something.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I just bought my yogurt maker a couple of days ago, so I don't have any input for you yet.
All our local health food stores are sold out of yogurt starter, so I have to wait until more comes in later this week. ***tapping foot impatiently*** DS is sensitive to dairy and soy but goat's milk doesn't bother him, so I will be using it to make goat's milk yogurt. I can buy it at the HFS, but it's pretty expensive.

I can't wait to test out my yogurt maker! (Mine makes a quart at a time.)

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyBug & BabyBug
I just bought my yogurt maker a couple of days ago, so I don't have any input for you yet.
All our local health food stores are sold out of yogurt starter, so I have to wait until more comes in later this week. ***tapping foot impatiently*** DS is sensitive to dairy and soy but goat's milk doesn't bother him, so I will be using it to make goat's milk yogurt. I can buy it at the HFS, but it's pretty expensive.

I can't wait to test out my yogurt maker! (Mine makes a quart at a time.)

Just get a tub of plain organic, live culture yougurt, it's all you need to start it.
www.hillbillyhousewife.com has a non yogurt maker recipe, but it would probably work in one too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.